is reality as we know it, really a dream?

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by mekia, Dec 1, 2019.

1. mekia

mekia Members

I always wondered if other people believed this as well

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

"Once upon a time, I, Zhuangzi, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly.
    I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Zhuangzi.

Soon I awakened, and there I was, veritably myself again.

Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.
    Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction.
    The transition is called the transformation of material things."

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  3. MeAgain

According to Advaita Vendata there are three forms of consciousness,

The Waking State, (Jagrat Avastha)
    The Dreaming State, (Svapna Avastha)
    and The Dreamless State, (Sushupti Avastha).

youngbob2929 likes this.
  4. I don't know if it's any more substantial than a dream. Entropy means nothing is everlasting. And here we are moving through space at thousands of miles per hour. If someone could remain motionless in space, who knows how this solid matter would seem.

I don't think people understand reality any more than they understand their dreams. What is a dream? It correlates to neurons, but there's nothing about the appearance of neurons that suggests they provide an accurate glimpse of reality. And when you consider just how hopelessly limited our perspective is, they probably don't. So things definitely aren't as they seem, as in a dream.

I do believe dreams can give glimpses of reality as well.

youngbob2929 and Orison like this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

reality is what doesn't depend upon our knowing it, owes nothing to what we tell each other, and isn't at all affected by our doing so.
    reality is everything authority and hierarchy are not. though they to can be things that also exist. just without dominion over the forces of nature.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

which ever world you are in, whatever worlds you may have visited, are of limited consiquence beyond your experience of having visited them.
    awareness is not subject to the limitations of form. form of course, by definitional, is. man or butterfly or anything else, we just wear them.
    perspective, priority and preference are identity that transcends form.

perception is personal, reality is universal, even beyond physical and meta both.

7. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Interesting question. I don't know the answer. It often feels that way. In some ways my life feels dreamlike and other times everything feels very real. Hence the constant confusion. Feeling and believing are very different.

If reality as we know it really a dream then to what do we awaken to? If our reality is a dream then perhaps we can only become more lucid in the dream. Become aware that what we call reality just comes from our dream state existence.

8. Dreams teach us very well that something that seems very real can be illusory. Usually when we dream we mistake the dream for reality. But in a way, the dream is reality, too. Dreams don't lie outside the jurisdiction of things that happen, anyway.

At least a part of reality is a dream, a completely subjective experience.

Theactualmostfallen likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Walking on a dream
    How can I explain?
    Talking to myself
    Will we meet again?

We are always running for the thrill of it, thrill of it.

youngbob2929 likes this.
  10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

If everything i see is just a fantasy and everything i dream is my actual reality...

I've done way too many drugs in my twenties.

11. MeAgain

It's all real.

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

No I don't believe that. With my heavy psychedelic trips, I've seen that the mind has a lot of vistas that aren't easily accessible through normal waking consciousness but I think the general "homeostatic" or normal waking consciousness that I experience on the day to day and what I assume everyone else experiences to varying degrees is as real as it gets given our biology.

There can be a surreal aspect to waking consciousness when you take minds that have essentially evolved to hunt and forage in grasslands and what not for the majority of their existence and then place them in cities peering through microscopes, flying in planes and interfacing with computers talking to people anywhere in the world, stuff that basically allows us to transcend physical limitations in a way.

Theactualmostfallen likes this.
  14. Some people place emphasis on the here and now, but the problem is that it's fundamentally a matter of opinion, civilized discourse that will defy the nature of how ludicrous I sound.

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I believe its all a dream... A fucked up controlled nightmare!!

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

17. It's more than dreams. It is the convergence of dimensions; the ghost in the machine.

Dude111 likes this.
  18. Watch the "clouds" swirling in the sky, a testament to time, the overlord of everything.

Time is conscious awareness, and it governs all who believe they exist in a void, these puppets without strings. Yes, sometimes it rains, but our thoughts are just raindrops from clouds that fall into the ethereal ocean, only to become clouds again.

youngbob2929 and Dude111 like this.
  19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

As a kid I often used to have that thought!

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Reoccuring fucking nightmares would be dreams, correct?