Is Praying Affective?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Peace, May 17, 2004.

1. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

I was a christian but i changed my religion to buddhism. Ive learned many things and taken up on many of the buddhist iddeals. I wasnt much into christianity (i guess thats why i changed)

I have a question that i was thinking about earlier. Does praying really work. As a buddhist i have learned to not think about the negatives, this has made me happier. But it seems like when you pray for forgiveness, its just reminding you of what you ahve done wrong. Do you honestly feel that this helps you or does it make you sadder? Thanks for your responses.

2. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

My observation is that praying is effective, but it isn't always comfortable. The purpose is to have a relationship with God, but to be as humble as possible about it.

3. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

i've heard that praying..... any sort of praying does work.

it can help anyway.

4. makno

makno Senior Member

it can distract you so you hardly hear the blade of the guillotine falling !my friends are budists but thats cuz they are from laos...i dont think they are serious , its just a culturalclubhouse {the temple}

5. halloweenriot

halloweenriot Member

I think that prayer is effective. Once, when I was freshman in high school, I wanted to go to Great America (an amusement park) with these girls my friends and I met at a basketball game. I needed two hundred bucks for the tickets and to pay my cousin to drive us and buy us booze; so I prayed that night for the two hundred dollars. The next day my friends and I broke into a little redneck pizza place and took the cash register and when we got back to the farm and busted it open - lo‘ and behold, there was $196 and change in it. That was close enough to $200 to make me believe that the prayer was effective.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I don't think it is. I think praying is just wishful thinking.

7. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

That's along the same lines I was thinking of.

Another question if you don't mind. How many of you Christians (or any other religion) think some religions are wrong? There's no need to name which ones, but do you think that some religions cannt be true?

8. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

I'm an SGI buddhist, and I can testify that chanting works. Don't feel qualified to say anything on prayer though. But I'm definately a religious pluralist.

Pax,
    Kate

9. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

That's wonderful that Halloweens friends god granted him that robbery. I guess the shop owners must have been sinners.

10. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I don't know what I believe in but I frequently talk to a "higher power". I am probably most likely just talking to myself, but it makes me feel better.

11. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

I believe in Jesus... I also engage in daoism, the craft and buddism.

i dont think there is one way to enlightenment... i think what ever works for the person. however a person gets to what they need is the right thing for them.

i strongly believe that.

12. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

you know that saying becareful what you wish for.....
    ive lreant the hard way many times, i think prayer is basically a form of spellwork.

and when people pray for forgiveness shouldn't it hurt? overwise how do we lrean from our mistakes and move on.

in case your wondering from my camp spells work and there fore so does praying

s

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Prayer in any way is a way of meditation and mental relaxation... nothing more.

14. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

When your born again and you sin, when you pray for forgiveness, and your truely sorry, God says, "What sin?". Our sins are cast to the bottom of the sea and are forgotten.

During my women's bible study, we have been discussing the power of prayer. There are a few excerpts from the workbook I would like to share, if I may.

Dr. Alexis Carrel is a M.D., who won a Nobel Prize in physiology. He wrote, "Prayer is the most powerful form of energy one can generate". The influence of prayer on the human mind and body is as demonstrable as that of secreting glands. It's results can be measured in terms of increased bouyancy, greater intellectual vigor, moral stamina and a deeper understanding of human relationships. "Prayer is indispensible to the fullest development of personality. Only in prayer do we achieve that complete harmonious assembly of mind, body, and spirit which gives the frail human need it's unshakable strength. When we pray, we link ourselves with the inexhaustible motive that spins the universe."

During a scientific evaluation of the role of God in healing, cardiologist Randolph Byrd conducted a study of home prayer groups on his patients. One group was prayed for, while another group wasn't. The patients who were prayed for were five times less likely to need antibotics, were three times less likely to experience pulmonary edema, and none of them required a ventilator, whereas twelve of the un-prayed for group required assistance breathing, and fewer of the patients who were supported by prayer, died.

Dr. Will Mayo of the Mayo clinic made the statement, "I have seen patients that were dead by all standards. We knew they could not live. But I have seen a minister come to the bedside and do soemthing for them that I could not do, although I have done everything in my professional power. But something touched some immortal spark in him and in defiance of medical knowledge and materialistic common sense, that patient lived!"

Other demonstrations of prayer being powerful can be found in the book of Acts, 1 Kings (17:21-22), James (5:17-18), and 1 Samuel (1&2) just to name a few.

"Prayer is the earnest belief that God will answer you".

Hope this helps a little. God bless.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

everything you do is effective. you just don't get to choose the effect!

16. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

a combination of themnax words and bravesirrubins!!!!!!!!

17. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

it works for me. sometimes i request something in particular, sometimes i just wanna chat.

18. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

If you truly beleive in your higher power, and you are sincere in your prayer, I think it is absolutely effective. I am a Christian. I don't think other religions are wrong. I think (although many will disagree with me) that God comes to others in different ways. Ways that are the best for that particular person to best communicate. So Buddha, Islam, Jah, Jesus is just alright with me....

19. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I don't think that prayer does anything but relax, and make a believer feel better.

If I'm alone I'll just talk to myself or my cat. Talking to my cat makes me feel better, and she thinks she's God anyway.......;)

20. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Regardless as to whether prayers are answered by a Higher Power or just a placibo affect studies have shown that prayer works.