Is peyote really that healing, gentle and educational?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Shivaya, Mar 9, 2011.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Quotes or it never happened??? Listen to yourself dipshit.

Sorry for me not buying into the bullshit of somone who has a 1970's science fiction character as their signature pic.

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I live very close to the chihuahuan desert.

Shit's endangered. It's less endangered in mexico, but still nowhere near out of harms way.

The reason it's endangered is because of people like you seeing a bunch and going "I see it everywhere, can't be endangered". I know people with dozens of acres of land with it all over the place. Shit's still endangered.

This ain't the wild west, and there's nowhere that's safe from idiots, ATV's, druggies, or some combination of the above.

The reasons you don't think it's a psychedelic drug perfectly describe what a psychedelic drug can make you think. That's WHY is is a psychedelic drug.

It may put you at ease, but that's because it's a psychedelic drug. When you take a drug to celebrate someone else, or help someone else, all it does is put you at ease about them. The way people feel about doing this, again, is why it's a psychedelic drug.

But again, there's nothing WRONG with being a psychedelic drug, just because it's not the same as the others doesn't make it something else, though. Tripping doesn't even mean you have to see a single thing, it means your psyche's being fucked with, which it obviously is when you take peyote.

3. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

I have spoken with professor Martin Terry and one of his colleagues, Redhawk from Sul Ross State University's Cactus Conservation Institute and they pretty much are the only ones doing surveys on the cactus. The results of which are much more reputable than your undocumented claims. It is listed as threatened in the US but not endangered. It is definitely more common in the US than several species of star cactus. There are little veins of growth that are definitely overharvested in Texas and near some more pupulated areas in mexico. In mexico it is protected and there are barely any GPS data on the populations because there is such a huge area to keep track of but I assure you there are huge veins of it that can't be touched except hiking through the desert for nearly a hundred miles. This huge geographical range is what gives it an advantage against human encroachment.

haahaa you obviously have never been to San Luis Potosi or the Huatesca mountains of Monterrey, or Copper Canyon. Shits remote, distant, and difficult to navigate. Ive seen medicine the size of softballs come out of such places, and thats obviously not regrowth. Really hard for the populations to decline in areas off limits to non-high clearance vehicles without two spare tires and a compressor pump. The chihuahuan has a handful of highways that are maintained, but the vast majority of it is so remote you might as well be on the moon.

4. sheepie

sheepie Member

RooRshack's got a point about the selfishness. We've been conditioned by society to apply a negative connotation to selfishness, but in reality virtually every motive we have is based on personal gain. Anyway that's completely off-topic.

I haven't taken enough Peyote to really trip so I wouldn't know, but from what I hear among other forums is that it's pretty gentle/healing/etc. There's a documentary about peyote and MDMA that might interest you. I forget what it's called. Just youtube "san pedro peyote and ecstasy documentary" or something

5. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

[​IMG]

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm not talking endangered in the legal sense, by population percents or whatever. I'm talking in the sense that it's obviously heavily damaged from it's natural population size, and rapidly declining.

Also, yeah, I live in the US, not mexico. There are other native groups that do their own thing that side of the border, and generally, a whole different scene. I've read that drug tourism is making things there a lot worse, that is, people..... like you..... taking 4x4's accross very delicate desert and ripping it up....

Dr. Martin Terry is a fascinating man doing fascinating work, and he would probably agree with you more than me about the proper use of peyote, he works with people interested in it's religious use, but I wouldn't tend to expect him to support my own unguided psychedelic play. but I don't think for a second that he would classify the effects of it's consumption as anything other than those of a psychedelic drug. As I understand it, he's working on getting greenhouse cultivation for natives a more widespread, legally accepted thing, to save the wild population.

7. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

Yup. but you'd be surprised how similar some things are. Afterall the NAC ceremony up here comes from traditions deeply rooted in indigenous Mexico. You can see the similarities and differences if you are ever blessed enough to sit with the Mexica or the Huichole in addition to North American NAC. In south Texas Ihave been to meetings in Rio Grande city where the lines are definitely blurred between traditions.

yeah thats close to real de catorce where mexican hipsters are doing that, not me.
    Ive never blazed 4x4 across a "delicate" desert floor...Maybe some primitive backcountry roads but that tore the shit out of my vehicle and damn sure not the wildlife. Never poached or destroyed any plants in my desert wanderings. thought about grabbing a couple living rocks once, then had a change of heart. To call me a drug tourist is unfair after all that's been said.

Haha. he attends regularly at NAC ceremonies. I think you might want to ask him in person what he thinks about that.
    Redhawk and I talked about this the morning after a ceremony back in January. Yeah it's all fine and dandy but there needs to be more replanting and maintaining of original veins of growth. It needs to be restocked where It has been wiped out like in BIBE. A lot of NAC people grow peyote around their house, naturally they want it around, but to sustain some two hundred thousand odd relatives we are going to need a lot of greenhouses. The solution lies in both cultivating greenhouses and maintaining the wild populations. Mexican government needs to keep their word and protect the huichole and their sacred lands. US government needs to let us cultivate it legally. Everyone involved with this medicine has a responsibility to fulfill, and i am more than happy to be a steward of it.

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well I don't say that I'm sure dr. terry would consider it a drug because I HAVEN'T talked to him about it....

I mean, he studies the alkaloids and their levels, and what effects those levels. He IS a man of science, I think he's a harvard grad.... he's not about to throw all his peyote studying tools out the window, in favor of peyote centric superstition. Again, being a psychedelic doesn't mean it's a cheap mind toy, but means that used properly, it can do exactly what you're talking about peyote doing. I'm pretty sure you'd still think LSD is LSD when used as a sacrament by one of the religious groups that does THAT.... It doesn't change the drugs classification, it simply changes it's effects.