Is My Hair Becoming Natural Or Am I Screwing Something Up Here?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Barocoon95, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Barocoon95

Barocoon95 Members

I have been growing my hair for a year now, I guess my hair growth rate is slow, not too sure. Anyway when it reached my ears I decided I wanted to not conform to mainstream fashion norms any more as they are like a dictatorship: you must follow them or you are supposed to feel ashamed and are disgraced by followers of the trends. I always thought it very typical that the reason cannabis was propagandized was because a paper producer (of wood paper) wanted get wealthier. The same reason women were tricked to believe not shaving their body hair was unhygienic: the razor companies wanted to get richer. Greedy, and petty.Shaving has nothing to do with hygiene but perhaps to some degree may affect the rate at which you must shower. But body hair does not indicate poor hygiene, bathing does. Honestly, fuck people making money off me. That is the main reason I'm getting dreads. I can't stand the herds of sheep that follow the shepherds of greed, of which are used and waste their hard earned money to the shepherd's personal gain. Fuck that. I highly revere a woman who isn't blindly led by consumerism. Not to mention when a woman has her body her she stands out as (sexy, womanish, and mature) as opposed to a appearing as a young teenage girl.

Back to dreads, I posted this so you awesome folks could assess my current stage of natural hair growth. I have only combed my hair 5 times since last March and the last time was mid September (which I just ran my fingers through my hair. I cracked because I thought my hair wasn't long enough to dread. I use shampoo once a month and baking soda to de-grease once a week. I shower daily. I would like all of your opinions no matter how insignificant you think they might be. All your guys' advice will be greatly appreciated. My main question is: After a month of not combing, do they look like they are getting there or am I screwing something up?

Extra thanks from Canada,

Connor

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:153143]

Jaene Hoku likes this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You have pretty hair.

3. Barocoon95

Barocoon95 Members

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:153166]

That's my hair when I first rose this morning.

4. Butterfly23

Butterfly23 Members

Your hair is amazing! I realy-really like it!

5. Barocoon95

Barocoon95 Members

Thank you! I thought so too, just maybe not quite locked up yet. :guitarist:

6. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Going "completely neglect" can take an absurd amount of time. I've heard tales that mention lengths of time around a year before significant progress was made.

There's no shame in the "Twist n' Rip" method. You can let the initial dreads fall out almost completely, it really just kickstarts the process... Regardless, they'll grow into something unique...

Looks fine. It'll be a long journey, but you seem up for it.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If they are locking, you won't see growth rate and might see shrinkage.
    Those are subtle waves. Looks like a long journey.
    I have almost no wave pattern. With 40+ inches of hair, I have two long S waves.
    I had to backcomb and twist/rip.
    Eventually the straight won out. After three years, I really only had a tiny section of legitimately dreaded hair and an editor/boss who was making noise about image of the newspaper.
    Since I wasn't enthralled with them, I set them free.

You however, seem like this is a journey you will love.
    Go forth!

8. Laci

Laci Members

Dread extensions are also an option, they're so fun and you can get them in all sorts of colors.

I totally agree with not being a slave to consumerism. That's part of the reason I choose not to wear makeup. I would put makeup on to hide my acne, then when I took of the makeup, I'd have more acne, so I'd put on more makeup, and end up with more acne. But I was putting so much money into trying to look good. I quit wearing makeup, except for when I'm feeling particularly girly or expressive, about 5 years ago and my face has never looked better.

As far as my hair, it's about the same length as yours and same texture. I typically wash my hair once or twice a week since I work on a farm and tend to end up with hay and dust in my hair lol, and I like to use a natural shampoo and conditioner if I can. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. porkman420

porkman420 Members

keep it up man. neglect takes a long time. its supposed to be a journey so just keep it up. your hair is slowly sectioning it looks like, just leave it alone and keep it clean

10. fundoo

fundoo Members

Gonna be honest, didn't read through all the comments, but so this doesn't waste either of our time, looks fine for one month (realizing that now you are probably several months into it).

I just finished two months of neglect and got so fed up with the slow goings, that I added some root rubbing or wool rubbing. I felt I had to do this only because I kinda wanted to hide a bit more the matured partials I already had...and well, it kinda helps. So, while I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, well there is no harm in it and it is another option.