Is Martin Luther King....?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Monkey Boy, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

1. The best speaker of all time?
    2. How does Obama compare?

I get chills everytime I here MLK speak. He is the best IMO.
    Obama is good but doesn't even come close to MLK.
    What do you guys think?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is the best speaker of all time.

[​IMG]

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I've seen better speakers than that. Try harder.:D

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

5. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

[​IMG]

6. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Hahaha.....I thought that might happen. This is an extremely serious thread.:D

7. M4rt1n

M4rt1n Member

I think both men stand out because they articulated the profound needs of people with voices that demanded the attention of the entire world. The fact that Obama was speaking on behalf of a heterogeneous group of people that in turn gave him the most powerful position in the world makes him very different from MLK, but not necessarily better.

8. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I'm just talking about the speaking style. To me MLK had more conviction and energy behind his voice. Where as Obama seems more subdued. Obama does have the potential to be the best speaking presidents of all time though. Similar to JKF.

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Obama is not really a great speaker at all. I don't know why people think he's such a great speaker. I mean, have they heard him speak WITHOUT a teleprompter? Every other utterance his makes his "ugghh." Obama is simply well versed in NLP and knows how to combine the right verbal language with the right body language. To me it looks all so contrived. The guy is just so incredibly fake. If there's one thing the American people like, it's a good actor.

10. telephone

telephone weird

The difference lies in the sincerity of their words, i think

11. M4rt1n

M4rt1n Member

I think the style is different because the agenda is different. Martin Luther King was shaking the system with the power of his voice. Obama is a populist politician and he would have been a fool to shake anything too hard last year.

12. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I think the EXACT same thing.

I dont know about the fakness and all that, but whenever I see him speak for himself he's always "ehh...." searches for word, doesnt really say anything that required that much thinking.

13. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I agree he does say "ugghh", and "aaaand" alot which sucks. I'm just excited to have a president that can speak well I guess. Maybe he'll gain some more conviction during the presidency. He has the talent. Even if it is a little fake at times.

14. Pressed_Rat

He is also controlled by the establishment. But I digress.

15. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

16. M4rt1n

M4rt1n Member

I honestly don't believe that he is controlled by the establishment. He has no choice but to rely on the establishment because that is exactly what it is ESTABLISHED. If you want to start a government over from scratch, that is called a revolution. Having someone who is decent and thoughtful and intelligent as the POTUS should be a positive change.

17. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I think MLK had more of a personal stake in his cause too, since he had seen some of the horrors of racism first hand.

18. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

Are only black men accepted in this thread?

If that's the case, I think Mumia Abu Jamal is a great speaker. I forget what video was that John showed me on YouTube that made me think like that.

If not, I think Terence McKenna is a great speaker. I love the tone he uses and the pauses he makes between one word and another are so perfect. I also love the simplicity with which he puts into words very abstract things, but probably a lot of people will disagree with my opinion that he is a great speaker.

19. Pressed_Rat

I cannot think of any president who's been "decent." (Actually, Kennedy may be the one exception.) They're all hand-picked by the powers that be and given to us as "our" leaders. The people have no real choice because their very choices are given to them. It's easy to think someone is decent based on their public persona, never considering that perhaps it's all just an act. I mean, presidents have to appear somewhat likeable in order to have the popular support needed to be elected (or rather, selected). In my opinion, the more likeable a president is, the more potential they have to deceive and mislead. The hype surrounding Obama is particularly frightening, considering one understands history.

20. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I think the Mumia video was somewhere from Assata Shakur's website.