Is Light neccessary when...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing' started by Nitrusx, May 10, 2007.

1. Nitrusx

Nitrusx Banned

So I just germed 5 seeds, and I planted them. I plan to move them outside once they get a little bigger. I was wondering if they would sprout without light, or is light neccassary?

2. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

They will sprout without light (they don't get any light untill the cotylidons break the surface anyway). But they do need light as soon as they break the surface. Lighting before the sprout actually breaks through is just a good way to add warmth - in other words, it wouldn't hurt!

3. mr.greenxxx

mr.greenxxx Not an Average Bear

hmn, i though light made the shoot pop out, otherwise it would go a strange direction in the pot. learn new things everyday i guess :D

4. Parkman

Parkman Member

if im correct then wouldnt the plant grow to the sunlight? cause i thought the same thing as you until i tried growing one and i let the seed sprout without light and i put the seed in there sideways so it would look like it was growing sideways. dont know if this makes sense to baked

5. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Cannabis does grow towards the light, that's why they will lean toward a grow light. Right off the top of my head the term is "phototropism", I could be wrong. The point is that before a sprout actually breaks the surface, it's in the dark! There ain't no light underground - capiche?