is it peyote?

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Jonny Bear, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Jonny Bear

Jonny Bear Member

a guy i know gave me what he said is peyote. its powdered, kinda brown. he said it was a mild 12 hour trip if i ate it all. does this sound about right? never experienced peyote, never seen it until now. i was always under the impression it was a longer, more intense experience. am i misinformed or is this real?

2. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

ur kidding rite? the journey is the journey where ever it takes you too man, no one can tell ya not when your dealing wiv medicine plants- if you dunno what your doing dont do it init?

Respect for all things especially drugs...

3. Jonny Bear

Jonny Bear Member

buddy, just trying to gain some perspective on what i may be eating. really, i do not think it is an absurd question to ask some more experienced people what drug i have right now. thanks anyway.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't think it was an unreasonable question at all. Unfortunately I can't really provide an answer because a) you have a limited amount of information b) i've never done peyote

I will say that I think San Pedro and possibly peruvian torch which both also contain mescaline and are more common these days (especially in the U.S.) are often ground up into powder. I know with peyote the traditional method is to either eat or brew the buttons which contain the mescaline.

I have experience with San Pedro and it is a relatively mild 10-12 hour trip but a very enjoyable and worthwhile trip in my opinion.

5. Jonny Bear

Jonny Bear Member

oh i guess i should have mentioned he brought it home from peru. so is san pedro just another cacti?

6. joe bloggs

joe bloggs Member

Yes, San Pedro is another cacti containing mescaline (the alkaloid that causes you to trip in peyote). I too have limited knowledge of peyote. I do know however that San Pedro is much less potent than peyote which is why you have to eat so much more of it to get an active dose.

7. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

peyote can come as a dried brown powder. but given the rarity, i doubt it is peyote. More likely it's san pedro. I could be wrong. Maybe your friend lives in mexico or has Native American Church friends....

8. Dancing til Dawn

San pedro is peruvian torch- sorry it just bugs me people take powerful plants that they have no idea what they are doing..
    more repsect is all im saying-
    sure you wanna get high, but there is much more to it, especially when mescaline is involved - drop some acid if you wanna trip and know pretty much where ur gunna go..
    Just a another cactus !!!! see my point?

9. NorCaliGreenFiend

NorCaliGreenFiend Senior Member

San Pedro is NOT peruvian torch, theyre two different species (Pachanoi and Peruvianus). You seem to be the most misinformed poster on this thread.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

We get to learn something today... more respect is all i'm saying.

San Pedro http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_pachanoi
    Peruvian Torch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinopsis_peruviana

Here is Possibly the most valuable info to people using it for psychoactive effects. I'm sure these exact estimates can be debated places but:

Mescaline content compared with other sacramental cacti (variations of content occur throughout all species):
    Peruvian Torch - 300mg mescaline per 38 grams dried
    Peyote - 300mg mescaline per 28 grams dried
    San Pedro - 300mg mescaline per 100 grams dried

I should mention that from what I read and personal experience San Pedro has a pretty extreme variability in potency. My strongest voyage was on 2 ft. worth of cactus and I had a subsequent voyage with near 3 ft. that I found milder.

11. Dancing til Dawn

I guess what im saying is ive known people to fuck up big time at festivals taking mescaline for fun and getting really ill and not beiong able to handle the trip at all..

yes i did get that wrong one has spikes and one does not- I totally forgot that point .........

I see plants wrapped n vacuum packed no blessing no awareness of the spirit..

Think my point maybe wasted in this thread, enjoy your trip!

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

-/\+^<>|][

They both have spikes, one of the joys of preparing the cactus, removing the spines.

13. liquidacrobat

liquidacrobat Member

It seems like blessing (and) awareness of the spirit would extend to people too, so there would be respect for them too.

14. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

15. Dancing til Dawn

16. cosmoknot

cosmoknot Humboldt County Homey

I plan to make an extraction soon enough, &, being a plant, the alkaloid content (mescaline is not the only one you end up extracting; just as with brewing ayahuasca or extracting N,N DMT: you wind up with the lesser alkaloids, also, peyote is the only psychoactive cactus that grows w/out spines, instead, just hairs.....hrmmmph. Shit, I live in the Chihuahuan Desert...ride the horses around enough & I'll get a circle to work through combing for peyote (I have faith I'll find some & soon!)

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

^ yes that's true peyote does not have spikes but San pedro and Peruvian torch both most certainly do.

Good luck with your extraction... Why are you opting for that over consuming the peyote?

18. cosmoknot

What part of the globe you @? If in my neck'o'the'woods, peyote grows wild, just not lots of it to go around.

19. cosmoknot

...& I could be wrong, but I'd imagine less
    puking w/ the extract...any validity to my "theory" (see, I am one of those blokes who can drink up oodles of this n' that--I don't even get nausea from 2C-x's!)

*feedback warmly taken in :)

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ive never puked on San pedro, have never made an extract but I don't consume the core. I'm not sure if peyote has similar parts of the cacti that make one more prone to nausea or not.