Is it just me...?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by JOsie, Jun 7, 2004.

1. JOsie

JOsie Member

or does anyone else feel like ripping, burning, tearing, breaking and in any other way destroying all these england flags that have suddenly appeared?

the new thing is to have them attatched to your car...and i can't look at a car with them on without feeling anger and wanting to snap them off and dispose of them...

the number that have appaeared in such a short space of time is quite frankly worrying...i saw a taxi the other day with 6 of these flags attatched...one i can understand...2 would be fine if they weren't so irritating...but 6...is going a little too far i feel...

it's all very worrying at a time like this...with the bnp gaining support...

i'm not against people supporting their football team...but it's not even as though they can see all these flags...it just seems supid to be going this far...almost like marking territory...

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

hmm dont really knotice it in wales, but i saw a few when i was going home on the train the other day, it was fairly sickening to be honest...

3. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

I Hate Hate Hate them too...

I think we should go on an adventure and break them all:eek:

4. marko

marko Member

Whatever happened to our national pride??

It's a shame you two have not got anything better to occupy yourselves with.

5. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Ditto. Burn them all!!!

6. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I don't mind in the slightest. In fact I think it's great that people can fly the St.George's cross without the first thought about the British National Party. After all it isn't them they're supporting you know? There happens to be a pretty large football tournament coming up.

If you're so worried about the growing support for the BNP how about instead of complaining about football fans you go and fly your party's flag?

Seperatly...The BNP are allowed to have their say, fly their own differant flags and gather all the support they want. What will make the differance here, is not acting like hooligans and destroying their voice (and any voice that sounds like theirs ;)), but showing that ours is wiser.

7. Xiola

Xiola One Lonely Seagull

You two being me and Mr Josie I presume!?

I guess we could just sit on the internet all day and moan about them if you'd prefer?

8. JOsie

JOsie Member

i'm all for having national pride...that doesn't bother me...and i'm quite happy for people to support their football team as much as they like...i don't really understand the attraction of it...but that's just me...i don't even mind people painting their faces and parading round the streets chanting "Ingerlund"

i mind the fact that people use the sport to push their agendas...i mind the fact that people judge countries based on their ability to play the sport...i mind the fact that just because a country loses it means that their whole country is shit...i mind the fact that people take football so seriously...my dad for example...won't go anywhere near manchester...he hates it and won't even go past it on the motorway...he'll always choose a long way round...

mostly tho i mind the fact that if you don't support "your country" in a sport like football then you aren't patriotic or proud of your country...

9. Lozi

Lozi Senior Member

they are just representations of something to do with mumble mumble ib;ajlfzan blah blah blah...

ok i'm done! my point was that trees grow and ....i think maybe that thinking is useful sometimes when posting on forums.....*braindead*

10. Maon

Maon Member

i do have a similar feeling josie tho its on a deeper level .. having been away from the countyr for so long one thing i noticed was that when i left the union jack was the prodominent flag flown of churches etc .. now its the st georges flag .. i notice a shirt towrds super nationlism away from the uk and towrds england wales scotland etc. but so be it .. and it is after all euro 2004 and that the main reason why there are so many flags ... nothing wrong with them josie ...

There are people who walk down the street and look and you in your long black coat, piercings and think ... oh for fucks sake look at him .. a fucking lazy for nothing loser ..

and it will be ok by your standards ...

prejudice breeds prejudice Josie

You of all people should be the one of the ones who make a difference by accepting ...

11. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

They annoy me.

That's all I need to say :p

12. JOsie

JOsie Member

i see your point...but on another level i don't get it at all...

i never said i mind people with flags out...supporting their country...it is the implied statement of "we are better than any other country"...

me walking down the street in my long black coat with my piercings isn't saying that i think i am superior to every country on the planet...

if it were as you said union jacks flying everywhere i wouldn't be that bothered because that has a unity to it...it suggests a joining of people and of places...i don't even think i'd be that bothered if some of these flags had been up previously...but it just seems that the first chance to...oh fuck it...no-one really cares anyway...it just annoys me i suppose...i don't see the need for flags or division or supeiority over anyone at all...maybe it's me that's wrong...

13. Maon

Maon Member

:D its all ok josie :D
    they annoy me immensly too​

14. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

You're not wrong. But in the sporting world teams and their colours are pretty important. Where's the fun in a game with one big team, one colour, one winner? Do you not think it's brilliant how all these differant countries come together for such a touranment?

I can understand you being pissed with politicians using national symbols and celebrities to promote their political views. But I just don't see that from these flags attached to cars.

I don't mind England killing people at football :)
    And that's what the flags are for. Supporting your team in a game.

15. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

i wish i had an English flag to hang on my door. too bad im living in chicago. but oh well. i prefer england to america

16. JOsie

JOsie Member

maybe it's just where i've grown up that i see it differently to everyone else...

17. PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange Member

hey Josie dont worry man..I know what you mean bout the flags, they do get annoying...I guess its cool to see people supporting our country at football....

Its when football causes fights and riots that it gets lame, thank god its a rare happening...

I side with josie and whoever else thinks that football is a little lame...i dont understand how people can get so hooked up in something like football...i dont see why so much money goes into it......

maybe ime just missing the entire point..maybe football totally rocks...but I dont see how...

anyways..live and let live I say, it dont keep me up at night so its cool with me:)

18. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

I agree, the flag is associated with nationalism in a bad way. Maybe it shouldn't be, and supporting your football team is OK, but it has picked up these associations thanks to nationalist parties like the BNP, for whom it is about "us" being better than "them" in more than a sporting sense.

I hate seeing the flags flying from cars ... they're everywhere at the moment. I look twice at the person, wondering if they're BNP voters! But mostly I just think "sheep". If everyone's hanging up a George cross it makes me want to be different! Like ... supporting Portugal or something ... shame Finland is not playing in the European cup!

19. random_spontaneosity

random_spontaneosity Member

i actually thought about setting light to some the other night as i wandered around....

but tore myself away as i didnt want to blow cars up....

20. Merlin

Merlin Member

It's intereseting how for many, flying the St. George's flag is to represent unity within the nation. But what about the Union Jack? Doesn't that symbolise more unity than the St. George's? Given that it encompasses England, and Scotland, and Wales, and Northern Ireland, wouldn't that be a better choice to symbolise unity? You could go even further with the European Union flag, or even a world flag, solar system flag, milky way flag.....

I think I'd have to wave the Universe flag, as I want to be unified with the entire universe, not just England. :)

Got any ideas on what it should look like though?