Is It Immoral To Have Children?

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by TheSamantha, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not cats.

A female cats calls a mate to her when she's in heat, then postures with her rear in the air waiting for the male to mount her.

2. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Selfish in comparison to whom? People who don't? If so how? I choose not to have children yet i don't see myself as any more or less selfish than those who do. It is not even a question of selfishness to me as everyone is selfish but rather one of upbringing. Adults raising children to grow up and have children of their own. I still have family members asking me when will i get married and have kids. I tell them "never."

Yes, its a gamble. Your are responsible for another life. To many its a gamble worth risking.

lol, lame. It maybe a little harder for them but they still have the potential to live an enjoyable life just like anyone else. I've known some personally who have.

Well, my life is worth living hence worth starting. :)

3. abarambling

abarambling Banned

This morality thread is started to depress me.

Need. To. Stop. Reading.

4. quark

quark Parts Unknown

What is the first thing a male lion does after taking over a pride? (Hint: It's not to take care of the cubs and wait for a female to present themselves willingly)

You're assuming that the act of forcefully spreading ones genes (hardy-har-har :army: ) was an act that had always been frowned upon.

I don't think it was stated that rape was the primary means of procreation.

5. Aerianne

What is it that drives the male to take over the pride?

Courtship displays are commonly exhibited by males in the animal kingdom. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtship_display

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Rape requires a moral aptitude and a legal system to codify it.

However, chimpanzees use sex as dominance (and not in the fun way) where as bonobos use sex as bonding.

7. quark

quark Parts Unknown

To spread their genes.

The male gets rid of the young, which in turn forces the female to take part in reproduction (so they too can spread their genes).

If we're trying to avoid the term "rape" in order to avoid any backpedaling, fine

Personally, I'd choose rape over infanticide as being the lesser of two evils. Although, I can see where this could be debatable.

The entire scenario pushes the question to a more fundamental level: Why would the female allow their young to be killed, only to mate with the "killer" male and take care of the new offspring?

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So we are now using anthropomorphism to say that animals are raped.

Rape requires a moral position, if you can prove that animals have some concept of morals then the analogy might hold, otherwise animals are only following natural instincts. Male lions kill the young of other males because it brings the females back into estrus and allows him to devote his energy to cubs that will pass on his genes.
    Ducks have evolved a complicated reproductive system in which the female has evolved to resist unwanted fertilization and in response males have developed their own reply.

But a male duck forcing itself on a female is not rape...it's an attempt by nature for that particular animal to pass on its genes.
    In humans we have devolved social norms and laws for that purpose, without those social and legal structures we are merely acting on instincts and natural law just as the animals.

We don't accuse animals of murder, why would we accuse them of rape?

9. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I meant our ancestors were raped because it was natural. That's all.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Whether or not that's the case, I don't see how it relates to the question of it being selfish or not to have kids now. If the children are the product of consensual sex, as the overwhelming majority are, why would it be a consideration?

11. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

It came up because someone said "how could having kids be immoral when it's natural and instinctual?" Well, so is rape.

12. Aerianne

Having children is closer to Immortal.

13. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Another selfish reason.

14. Aerianne

Oh, I absolutely agree. That's why I said it.

1 person likes this.
  15. BlackBillBlake

So is eating. Should people who eat normally stop because eating when abused can lead to obesity, animal cruelty etc?

16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2 different things.
    We have to eat to survive, but we can make choices there on what to eat.

1 person likes this.
  17. BlackBillBlake

We also have to reproduce if the race is to survive. And we can choose not to go about raping people.

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Speaking as any race, yes, it needs to reproduce in order to survive...not just humans......and no raping allowed, either.

19. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I think it's easy for us to say that the gamble was worth it and sure, there are some ingrates in this world who have negative attitudes when they shouldn't. But I can't imagine living like her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uteI0mUNFUI

20. Aerianne

I've seen people act like her who don't even have a disease or syndrome.