Is HDTV the worst thing that's ever happened to TV?

Discussion in 'TV' started by relaxxx, May 19, 2009.

1. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

How so?

2. Giancarlo

Giancarlo Member

Um they were ahead before and advanced rapidly. We're just only catching up to where they were 5 or even 10 years ago.

3. sunfighter

Could you be more specific? You basically just repeated what was said before.

4. Skizm

Skizm Member

HDTV IS the worst thing to happen because it's so god damn amazing. Hypnotizing almost...

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I lost my TV battle with my wife, she insisted that we get a satellite subscription. I'm paying about $30 a month for 290 channels and out of that only about 16 are HD. After 6 months it will be $60/month which I think is a ripoff but the wife and kid got to have their channels.

I'm just sick and tired of the damn black bars and messed up aspects. Even the HD channels, they either have a thick black boarder around the whole damn screen because they are showing a standard def program OR they are showing an HD show and it STILL have bars on top and bottom! The standard def channels are even worse with the God forsaken letterboxing. They tell you that you're seeing more but as far as pixels and bandwidth on their data stream goes they are showing you much less. That drives me insane, I hate letterboxed video.

If 16:9 is the new standard format then standard def channels should be forced to broadcast in that aspect, stretch the video from top to bottom and give people the maximum resolution that they are paying for. I'm constantly messing with aspect/zoom options on my TV and receiver to get rid of these fucking black bars!

Remember this, when you see black bars, you are being robbed of video pixels and bandwidth information that you are paying your provider for. Black bars use no bandwidth in a digital broadcast signal.

6. sunfighter

Just for reference, and this is not an endorsement, I have a Samsung HDTV and Comcast as my provider, I do not have any of these aspect ratio problems, except on one station, TBS. Since it's only one station, I blame incompetence at the network. Every other HD channel has a perfect aspect ratio.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Well, personally I like it but it doesn't really excite me like it does others.

I don't care too much about definition, as long as I have a TV that works that is fine. Cinema's give you a better experience, and although they can be costly- I cannot afford to switch to HD, blue ray, digital whatever all at once.

It's at the moment, simply not worth the fuss.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

yeah I like to see the ugliness of so said famous people, the clarity is astounding..
    but Ive noticed that digital glitch isnt like film rolling, its pixels stall making the voice and picture delay if your watching it close enough and listening.. especially from a satellite you can see the delay.. I dont care how clear the picture is. if the sound dont match live humans, its like watching a fucking cartoon.. :(

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

HDTV is garbage......All it is IS A WIDER PICTURE!!

AT A MOVIE THEATER OK...... BUT @ HOME?? Its crapola and standard def is fine........ (I love SD)

10. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I'd much rather watch a hockey game in HD.... regular programming in HD is overrated though, I think.

11. sunfighter

You are wrong. It is not just a wider picture. It has way more pixels, more detail, better in every way. Also the sound is CD quality at a minimum. Maybe you just have a lousy TV.