Is HDTV the worst thing that's ever happened to TV?

Discussion in 'TV' started by relaxxx, May 19, 2009.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've got to say I have both Standard and HD TV's in the house and the HDTV itself is great for playing games and DVD movies but for actual TV shows I can't say I've got much joy from it and I think it's the providers and networks to blame.

I only have standard definition channels to watch and I'd swear they were punishing me for not buying expensive HDTV subscriptions and receivers. I hate letterboxed video on SD, you are not seeing more that's BS, count the pixels! So my HDTV gives me two options, stretch the video to make a fat aspect ratio or leave black columns on each side of thes screen. Then if the program is letterboxed you get black bars on all damn sides of the screen!

I think cable and satellite providers are using this new format to jack their prices through the roof. It seems like every time they find a way to increase quality on something the industries got it geared up to make you pay through the nose and a lot of the time this new technology is actually cheaper to and cost less to produce, DVD VS VHS for instance. DVD's are way cheaper to produce than VHS tapes, their even cheaper to ship. I'm sure satellite TV is much more cost effective than 600 transmission towers too. But when they invented TV and set aside UHF and VHF frequencies did they have any concerns about collecting subscriptions? No they didn't, why is that I wonder...

Anyway I was at a friends house who's paying like $100 a month for HDTV channel subscription and was going through some HD channels and half of them had black bars on sides of the screen. I was like "WTF is this", "well they don't show HD programming all the time just some shows are HD". Well what a shit sandwich that is! You'd think they could at least upsample and reformat their shows, I'm sure it's possible. Ahhh what am I saying, these damn networks don't even know how to normalize their volume output!

I think HDTV programming is a ripoff. Sure more and more shows are going to convert but would you pay 600 a month for a new car that's only a frame and wheels. "keep up your monthy payments, we'll have the rest of your car build someday". You providers can take your HD subscription packages and shove them up your greedy asses!

2. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I have ZERO interest in HDTV myself. I mainly view older tv shows/movies (the good stuff)anyhow and they would not 'look' right on a HD-TV set.As far as things like cable tv...etc. ,they really should introduce something where one can pick and choose only the channels they view.As it is I only view about 3 channels.

1 person likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

The technology is there, but its going to be long process.. The bill should be set at what you consume ,, N?:OT based on IDLE time... I hate a mofo tell me turn the off the TV set when nobody is watchin it.. See this unit uses some 35Watts.. So Id rather have 3 walls watching the infomercial if Im paying for the cable feed and colored night light. :D

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Man, I got an HDTV infront of me right now, and the difference is huge... literally... huge.

Especially when it comes to sports and movies.

5. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

It's not a matter of technology for introducing something like a pick your own stations thing.Face it these companies can do it in a minute--if they wanted to.They don't because they and the tv stations know that many people would neither want nor pay for about 90 percent of the rubbish stations.And by the way I include CNN,Fox etc. the 'once great', now terrible networks of ABC,CBS,NBC and a host of others among the category of rubbish stations. And in my case I don't even pay that much for cable as it is,but it would simplify things and alot of useless stations would go out of business--which would be a good thing.--Less is more.

6. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

For sports yeah,I can see where it would be an advantage.Also for certain movies too.--However when it comes to television shows, what's the use of HDTV anyhow if all or most of what they make now a days is pure junk.Give me a good older show on a regular tv anyday.

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Well, yeah... obviousdly. Contemporary TV is complete garbage.

I don't own a TV, I'm just house-sitting for my parents who are out of town for a couple of weeks, and I get to enjoy their HD.

Really does make watching the Magic beat the Cavs so much more enjoyable.

(I watched Total Recall yesterday, and it looked AMAZING on the HD)

9. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I should look into something like that.It's only available in the UK at this point,but very interesting.--BTW heres another reason cable/satelitte is often BS.Why is it people in the US can't view something like the 'real' BBC,good station hardly any adverts.Also how come I can't view let's say one of Australias premier stations or some good tv stations from other areas in Europe and so on.--Yet much of the world is exposed to the pure drivel that contemporary American tv produces ie: again CNN ,Fox and all types of other nonsense.

10. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

C'mon you know Lebron is gonna beat Magics. That game winning shot at he buzzer in game one looked amazing in HD.

11. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Amazingly heartbreaking.

Magic are gonna prove that one player can't beat an entire team.

12. odon

odon Slightly Popular

It is only available for free in the UK.
    But, I think it is available in other countries at a price.
    I doubt you will be able to get it for free.

You can't watch the "real" BBC because WE PAY FOR IT NOT YOU.:rolleyes:
    There is NO adverts on the BBC.

Other networks pay a lot of money for broadcast rights...if it was available anywhere the rights would become void.
    Nobody would make any money.
    It all boils down to money. :mad:

We are not subjected to a lot of your TV.
    It is snippets of it.
    Not complete coverage or particular stations.
    Yes, I can watch CNN for about 6 hours a day, but it is the European version of it.
    Well, perhaps you can watch lots more on satelite.
    Not much more I don't think.

13. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I see what you're saying odon.By the way I'd happily pay to view the 'real' BBC,and I'm sure many other people outside the UK would too.Quality tv with no adverts.---As far as BBC America, it is junk and rife with commercials--just like US mainstream tv is.

14. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Not even close.

HDTV is great for all sports, especially football (American), basketball, and racing. My only complaint is that they still zoom in too tight in football. The screen is big enough and sharp enough that they could show more of the field, showing receivers running their patterns instead of showing only the line of scrimmage and the quarterback in the pocket.

In my area, all the major networks have free HDTV broadcasts available.

15. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I used to be part of the BBCAmerica forums...they were forever bitching about it. It was far removed from the actual "BBC" as they bought programmes from ITV1 to C4...It was not all BBC programmes.
    Also having to have the dreaded adverts.

Apparently they do have BBCHD outside the UK...But, you have to pay for it...:rolleyes:

16. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I just took a look at the line-up of shows on BBC America. Most days have literally 14 or more hours of Gordon Ramsey shows(per day),the rest is BBC news America and some other nonsense,all shown---- in between adverts---- of course.The 'real' BBC should take it's name off that station(BBC America),because it really is an embarassment at best to even be associated with such a tv station.

17. odon

odon Slightly Popular

It truly is not worth calling it BBCAmerica. Gordon Ramsey is on C4...for pitys sake :rolleyes: .

I'm sure the BBC makes a lot of cash from DVD sales.

18. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

I agree.And I'm guessing alot of Americans 'mistakingly' think it's like the real BBC.--It's not even close.

19. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I guess so.
    Not the die hard fans of BBC programmes though.
    They take umbridge at BBCAmericas cheek.
    I think BBCAmerica is nothing more than a marketing tool...
    The BBC are just profiteering off their own name...

20. HawaiianEye

HawaiianEye Member

Most likely,as you said, "nothing more than a marketing tool". --A few years ago BBC America used to actually have a variety of shows,British comedy shows and so on,no longer.--I think if they showed BBC America in the UK there would be a riot.lol