Is god realy ugly or something?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by puddin, Jan 6, 2005.

1. puddin

puddin Banned

Because if you want all these people to worship you wouldnt it be a good idea to give them something substantial? Take Buddah for example, hes a jolly lookin dude so people like him. But with the Christian god its nothing or some guy being nailed to a cross which is just creepy. Feel free to correct me if im wrong which i very possibly am but, ungh... so bored.

2. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

human beings have easily assessed forms, the christian god is every form.

3. puddin

puddin Banned

i dont quite understand what your getting at.

4. Jedi

Jedi Self Banned

we are too ugly for God. We dwell like pigs in the muddy disgust of hate, revenge, anger, frustration and all the other evil tendencies. What we need is a good bath from God, but God respects us enough to let us make the choice ourselves. Once we finally figure out that all the frustration and irritation is due to not listening to him, we give our lives to the lord, and when that happens, we agree to get a bath, the path may be a little difficult to live up to , but if we hold on and just trust Him, i am sure he will start by first getting the mud out of our eyes so that we can see him better and then he will make us brand new.

5. natureistruebeauty87

natureistruebeauty87 Member

:H Okay Puddin... first off i was wondering do you even know anything about God? Because although it does say in the bible that he looks like us ... Jesus was his son.... Now...does everyone look like their parents? No.... And .... the thing is ... he was nailed to the cross so that you know , we could be free from all our screw ups.. things that we know are wrong but we still do them...and although as creepy as Jesus may look hung on a cross, he actually did die there... and think about this , he died for you... He thought of you before everything. Yeah...pretty cool. And just to let you know ... Buddah isnt real. Thats why they make him look so good so people will think that he is a good god. There is only one God... besides more than one god would be too confusing anyways..God is God... that's it... He created the earth , he created people and he said be fruitful and have free will... but do not sin without repentance or you will go to the spooky flamey place... aka Hell. So if you disagree and are like atheist/agnostic im really sorry ...it could be your home for allllllllll eternity... be careful what you wish for...

Peace Love AND Jesus....
    Shonda

6. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

the reason buddah was depicted as fat was because in chineese culture if you are wealthy you didnt do anything so you were fat...[ same reason why people in the 16th century painted their faces white]...you also must remember that jesus was probobly first depicted by the saxons...they angicizsed Him. there is no way of telling what He actually looked like cause it is against Jewish law to make a graven image...something lots of chirstians forget...

jesus was also one of, if not the only, manifestation of God to be murdered...all others died of old age or became enlightened...

7. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Thanks for the evil wishes, Shonda. Religion of love my ass...

By the way, the Buddha (who was real) never claimed to be God and really didn't speak to much about god or gods. He was just showing people a way to live better and be happier. And statues of the Buddha (that's a title meaning 'awakened one', his name was Siddhartha Guatama) are of a very thin man, since the Buddha was an asthetic monk for a long time and ate very little. I have heard the fat "buddha" statues are actually a chinese kitchen god, but I don't know for sure.

8. mynameiskc

god is everything, god is in everything. god cannot be seen individually or assessed individually like people can, because he is all. we were made in his image in our consciousness, in our reproductive ability. but unlike god, it takes two of us to create life like he did, instead of the fully functional whole, which is god.

9. puddin

puddin Banned

I get what yor saying now. Sounds kinda nifty.
    Oh and what does angicizsed mean?

10. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

Anglicized means altered to appear English. Yaqov, the Hebrew name, is changed to Jacob, and to Diego, and to James, depending on the language, so James is the Anglicized form of Yaqov.

I still see Nordic Jesus paintings all the time.

11. BlackGuardXIII

I agree Buddha advised that we should not waste time pondering the unknowable, 'god'. Some feel Buddhism is a spiritual philosophy, and not a religion. I have read about his years fasting in the wilderness, and he must have been skeletal from the descriptions of his meagre diet I read.
    If Buddha was not real, as was claimed by your admirer, I then have to rethink where Jesus learned all those Buddhist concepts. Up until now, I was leaning towards the theory that He studied in Tibet. In the Tibetan records, there is apparently a record of a visit by someone special whom some monks feel was indeed Yeshua.
    Of course, if Buddha is not real, then there are a lot of very sweet, dear, loving, giving Buddists who are going to be quite surprised.
    I suppose that it is just as possible that Buddha was real, and Jesus was not.
    Why is one any more likely to have been real than the other?

12. atropine

atropine Member

its people like you that make me laugh..

as trippin has already posted, buddha is real. how do you know jesus is real? all you have truely is a book, yet you can straight out deny the existance of another person. there is historical proof of buddha, so what of jesus. some will say there are, im not sure on the topic, so we'll just say there are. so now whats youre proof that hes the messiah, or the son of god? nothing but the bible, or nothing but the new testament for that matter.

so lets review, youve told me theres one god and one god only, youre god. jesus was his son, and he died for me. i have free will (yay me) but if i sin ill burn for eternity. go the ignorance and scare tactics..

13. BlackGuardXIII

The Tibetan Book of the Dead describes various horrific spirits that we get to meet upon our demise.
    They could definitely be fairly called ugly.

14. Lucy_In_The_Sky

Lucy_In_The_Sky Member

Jesus is real. At least we have proof he existed. The famous history writer Flavius Josephus mentions him in his work. But that doesn't proof he was the son of God of course. What we do know is that he existed and inspired millions of people. If you don't want to see him as the son of God, you still can't deny that he was greatest reformer religion has ever known. (I do see him as the son of God - we are all children of God) But he must have had something special to change the world in such a radical way.

15. BlackGuardXIII

Yeshua was special
    likely the most important figure in the last 2000 years
    I feel he is real

Now, Flavius Josephus also wrote that he was a Jewish military commander who fought the Romans, pouring boiling oil on them and such like. Then he was captured, and somehow became a Roman military commander.
    His descendents rose to become the elite of Rome, due in part to his writing, some of which i find hard to believe. Especially the idea an enemy would be welcomed and not killed instead.
    Some say the reason he is the ONLY writer to confirm His existence...that he wrote the gospels too, and the story was an attempt to strengthen Rome's resolve in Judaea, and defame the Jews.

16. atropine

atropine Member

always good that BG tells the whole story..

my whole point was, she was completely denying buddhas existance, while proclaiming that jesus was the son of god.

and yes he changed the world in a radical way, but definately not a good way IMO. a (possibly) would-be jew isnt better for being christian. but look at all the hatred and suffering the world has gone through from christianity. christians slaughtering christians in the name of denomination. evangelists cursing people on the streets for not conforming to their beliefs. etc etc etc

17. BlackGuardXIII

I hear ya, re: the horrors brought to all corners of the globe by the followers of that religion.

I feel the horrors were going to happen anyway, and the church was just a tool.
    If not it, something else would have been used to carry out the atrocities.

18. mynameiskc

well, i'm also pretty convinced that buddhist concepts, like the 10 commandments, are pretty universal to the deeper thinkers. god doesn't just parcel out knowledge to his favorites. it's just bouncing around out there in space, waiting for someone to open their heads to it. jesus' message having a great deal of similarity with the buddhist philosophy does not necessitate taht he travelled to somewhere else to get it. knowledge is not based on geography.

19. mynameiskc

as for jesus' message getting mangled by warring peoples in a time of intense struggle, well, that's just sad. take a perfectly good idea and spin it into propaganda, lose the message, make up some shit and toss it on top, and you get jerry falwell.

20. Xac

Xac Visitor

as far as im concerned jesus and budha were both real and both great people. i think denying the EXISTANCE of either is childish denying their importance is another thing.

i am christian i dont go to church... i dont believe in hell, i don't believe god/jesus have anything against religions based upon compassion.

im not even sure if jesus was the son of god, i dont care... i care that he was willing to accept imense pain for his beliefs of compassion and sacrafice

and i agree with skc... it makes me sad im sure no one will ever truly get to hear jesus's message (in this life time).

going to church makes you no more a christian then sitting in a garage makes you a car.. i think jesus would be disgusted with the modern church (not all churches but the way they generly opperate as buisness).

and to the poster who said another person was going to hell for not conforming to your particular belief, i pity your ignorance and truely believe if hell is your focus on christianity you are approaching it from the wrong angle. would you still want to follow christ if you were guarenteed heaven regardless?