Is Beer An American Thing?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by HippyCor$ter, Dec 31, 2004.

1. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

I just looked at the new years thread and basicly 99% of the people are drinkin beer tonight... Is it an american thing or world?

2. miami musician

miami musician Senior Member

i'm pretty sure more germans and europeans in general drink beer than americans...

3. hiro

hiro pursue it

I have no idea who drinks more beer.

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Irish, Finnish and German people are on top of the beer drinkers. :D

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

right on, then i have all the bases covered.

6. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

I'm drinking beer tonight and I'm making myself a vodka and cranberry. :)

Irish are huge beer drinkers. I think it's an all over the world kind of drink.

7. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

im partaking in the sutter home

8. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Beer is as much an American thing as ignorance.

9. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

Aussies drink tones of beer, l tend to have a few everyday,, love "beer o'clock"....

10. meishka

meishka Grease Munky

canadian beer is better then american beer. our . comes after the 5

11. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

The US has some decent beers, but they're usually small-batch or microbrews. The best I have found come from Europe (Belgium, Germany, Great Britain, etc), some from Canada (mainly Unibroue), and a few from the rest of the world.

It's all about personal preference, I guess. Many people still drink the fizzy piss-water known as Budweiser, Coors, and Miller.

bottoms up!

12. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Like everyone else has said, it's not just an American thing. The only difference is that most Americans are drinking crappier beer than most people in Germany or Belgium.

That's not really true. I doubt you've had many American beers. When it comes to the American/Canadian beer comparison, it's usually comparing Budweiser to Labatt, neither of which are very good beers.

To say Labatt is better than Budweiser is like saying hampster piss tastes better than gerbil piss. It's still piss.

13. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Pretty much. You have Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada, but most of the best American brews are ones that many people have not heard of.

When it comes to American brewers, my favorites would have to go to Ommegang (Hennepin, Rare Vos) and Victory (HopDevil, Golden Monkey, Storm King, Moonglow Weisenbock, etc.).

14. syd

syd Banned

Nothing like a cold Australian beer, in a matter of fact, i've got one now.

15. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I was at a show with a bar 2 year ago in NV, and they ran out of Orange Juice so couldn't get a screwdriver. I asked for a Cape Cod instead and there was quite a few people nearby that had no dea what it was, so I explained that its vodka & canberry juice...and that I was from NH, so maybe its just a Northeastern name for the drink

16. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I agree... I've a lot of European family that can outdrink anyone here - not exaggerating....

17. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Yeah everyone in Ireland drinks alot of beer alright. The Irish in the last few years have taken to wine aswell. I think it's in an attempt tp appear as refined as the French, Spanish and Italians. Drinking in Ireland is an experience in itself (one I get to experience every weekend :D), one of the few countries where you could go into a pub on your own and still meet loads of people and have a great night. Plus 16/17 year olds drinking in Ireland isn't frown upon to much either. Outside of Dublin they would probably get served in a pub without much hassle once they didn't look really really young.

Also america is light years off Europe in variety and quality of beers.

18. kier

kier I R Baboon

a nice local english bitter on a sunday afternoon :)

19. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

20. goldmund

goldmund Member

Here in Bavaria, there are over 2000 local varieties of beer, with many recipes dating back to the middle ages. In the summer they have volksfests all over the place, carnivals usually with one or more large beer tents, yummy rotessiere chicken, and more. You can see kids 12 yrs old drinking large mugs with their friends. The best part, hardly anyone gets into fights, except drunk americans :(