Ipod question..........

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by laugh2, May 13, 2007.

1. laugh2

laugh2 Member

How come my 30g Ipod says it has 27.82 gigs of free space with nothing on it yet?

Also when I downloaded my 2107 songs it only puts 1662 on it after I selected all.

I know I'm a newbie but I don't get it.

2. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

It's because iPods are shit. You're just going to have to accept that as a fact.

Just joking...but they really are. There's probably a programme on your iPod that allows it to play music which takes up quite a few gigs. I'm just guessing but computers seem to be like that too.

3. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

It's because how a computer sees a a gigabyte and how manufacturers define a gigabyte is different. Manufacturers say 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. A computer says 1 gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes. It's to do with the binary system, it gets complicated. But the companies can say their stuff is 30GB because it is: 30 thousand million bytes. But it isn't to a computer.
    Also, the OS on the ipod takes up some room (Apple build their shitty DRM system in, that takes up mondo room). Long story short, iPods are shite.
    Go for an Archos Gmini: 20 gigs of storage in a player about the size of the old ipod minis. Plus they're about half the price.

4. Adderall_Assasin

Adderall_Assasin Senior Member

ok, first you have an OS that runs the iPod. it takes up space.

then you have to consider that each section of the space must be accounted for or you would never know where you music is. this accounting takes up space too. the iPod says "this section of space is here, and these songs fit here". does that make sense.

and there is the fact that 30g isnt always recognized as 30g in actual space because 1g = 1024m and 1m = 1024k and 1k = 1024b... so you have some slack there.