ip relay

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fractual_, May 25, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i think the website is iprelay.com if not just search ip relay on google and itll come up

i bet alot of you would get a kick out of it... you call people from the internet, and type what you wanna say to an operator... its like... evolved prank calling. or you can just make a normal call, if you want.

2. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

Fuck off. It is abusers like you that makes us the deaf people suffer. We have to wait a long time or sometimes some companies won't even accept calls from us because they think we're one of those prankers. We have a right to equality to hearing people and it's people like you that are taking that right away from us.

Do me a favor. Quit it. Tell your friends to quit it so we the deaf people will be able to use the relay peacefully.

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i wasnt even aware it was for deaf people.

i dont use it anymore, but i figured a lot of people would want to.

i dont think prankers make it hard for you all to get calls, i dont think that place has much of a reputation. and i bet the prankers dont prank companies... as much as their finds.

4. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

You thought wrong! it is because of the prankers and spammers that things are screwing up with the online relay companies. Many companies refuse to take calls from the relay services. Let me find the blog where all the relay people get together and rant about things like that. You will be surprised.

5. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

are you deaf?

and why do you need to call companies anyways?

my mom used to know a deaf lady, and she used a phone somehow, arent their other methods of communicating??

im sure they have official relay companies for deaf people only, and they verify if your really deaf or some little punk kid,if not you should be the first to start one! there would probably be some money in it for you... get them to sign up for a years access or something.

6. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

Yes, I am deaf. I cannot hear and refuse to speak. I rely on relay services to make calls for me and many deaf people are professionals, believe it or not and they need to call companies for various reasons.

Here is a FAQ from Ip relay. it is orginially for deaf and hard of hearing people. http://www.ip-relay.com/faq.htm So hearing people using it for pranks or scams are abusing the deaf/HOH system.

I Pm'd you a forum for people with complaints about pranksters and scammers using ip relay. Please show some respect and quit it.

And you said that there are some "other relay places for deaf people only" well, ip relay is for deaf/hoh ppl only.

7. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

How the hell are they supposed to varify as to whether or not your deaf?

It's one thing to pull a prank or a joke, but when that joke or prank starts to limit someone else's freedom or capability then it's no longer funny.

8. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

like i said butterfly, i dont use it anymore. i got my kicks out of it in one night,

im sure it isnt complicated to verify whether or not you are deaf.... people get birth certificates, im sure they get something similar like that, maybe a medical record.

9. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

Most deaf people type differently from hearing people. Most of them are able to catch on whether the person is deaf or not.

You're right, it's not funny anymore. Many of those relay operators are really tired of stupid teens playing pranks because there aren't enough operators to go around in some relay companies and some deaf people have to wait a few minutes and you never know when a deaf person needs to call for an ambulance. Someone could be having a heart attack out there and dying while someone is waiting for an operator to finish a prank call.

People who uses the relay for prank calls or scam calls are beyond immature. They have no respect at all.

10. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

Once, a hundred times, it doesnt matter. Like I said there cld be a deaf person put on hold while someone is having a heart attack.

You don't know if it actually happened when u're using it. Why didn't you or anyone read the FAQs? ANd why did you even suggest it for prank uses?

11. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Why do you refuse to speak? I live with my grandmother, who is deaf, and speaks quite well. And I don't understand why you would set yourself back that far. I'm not trying to insult you, just asking why you refuse. And it is true most deaf people are professionals. My grandmother has worked for the Smithsonian Institute, and was actually the first person to type up the TV captions way back in the 60s, or whenever it was.

And good to know there is an alternative to the TTY. Maybe she can finally throw out that piece of crap she uses now...

By the way, out of curiousity, what do you think of President Bush's administration cutting funding for closed captions on most television stations?

12. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

lol i think it does matter if i do or dont do it anymore.

and i was suggesting it because it was fun! very simple, i thought you would have picked that up from my original post!

i didnt read the faq because it wasnt that interesting, i didnt need any questions answered, if it was strictly for deaf people, one would think theyd let ya know pretty obviously.

13. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

That's because it should be common sense. I mean, it's not like hearing people would have much use for it, except being too lazy to disguise their voices when making prank calls.

14. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

Because even through years of practice, I still cannot speak very well so I don't see the point to. I don't even like speaking or wearing hearing aids. I'm perfectly happy living in the silent world and using ASL to communicate or writing to communicate with hearing people.

FOr sure, it's a great alternative for deaf people because so many use computers now.

His admin. is just cutting most captions because his admin only pays for educational shows. The rest of the shows will continue to be captioned but covered/paid by different companies/agencies. It will be the responsibilities of the shows.

15. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

OK, now you know. When you see the words RELAY SERVICE, it is usually for deaf people. Check the FAQs as well because you never know what you will learn. Also, it's not supposed to be fun. It is supposed to be a form of communication centre for deaf/HOH people to talk to hearing people. Thank you.

16. Cirrhosis

Cirrhosis Banned

Oh, good. See, I was afraid my grandmother wouldn't be able to watch Law & Order, CSI, etc. She would be miserable if that happened. At 75, and deaf, she doesn't have much of a life outside of her cats, my mother an I, books, and TV. But still...it does seem like the government should fund that, if you ask me. But, hell, I guess we can't afford it, since we're paying so goddamn much for the war.

17. Butterflygal

Butterflygal Member

TOtally understandable!! Even though I'm from Canada, most of my show channels are from the states so people in Canada would be affected if captioning were cut out completely.