Introductions

Discussion in 'Introduction to Buddhism' started by shaman sun, Oct 23, 2007.

1. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Hello everyone. First thing is first - this is an open learning experience. Meaning, although I'm considered the 'instructor,' I am sure we can all learn from each other. You know the saying, "The teacher is the taught," - I feel that applies here especially. So, what brings you here? What interests you about Buddhism? This thread is meant for us to get acquainted, so introduce yourself!

I'm a Junior at Fordham University, NYC. I have been studying and practicing Buddhism for about four years now, diving heavily into authors such as Alan Watts, Ken Wilber, Karen Armstrong, Thich Nhat Hanh, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Bruce lee, Wei Wu Wei, Lama Surya Das, Ramana Maharshi, and so many more. As far as my personal practice, I have been steadily working with Zen and more recently Dzogchen, a Tibetan form of Buddhism. I'll do my best to share with you what I've learned, and what I'm learning. If you have any suggestions for this class you're encourage to put them out here for us.

As far as teaching this class goes . . . I'll be posting a series of threads which will describe the essentials of Buddhism. There will be no homework (Phew), but plenty of material to explore. I'll also put up a Resources page - just full of links, videos, essays and books for everyone to make use of.

2. Divinaeon

Divinaeon Member

Well, as a Quaker (Religious Society Of Friends) I'm always looking for wisdom from all walks of life and different religions to enhance my own beliefs. Buddhism is something I haven't explored too much, but I believe it would help me to view things with a different outlook. I'm really excited for this class!

3. wildflowereyes

wildflowereyes Senior Member

My name is Maryanne (you can call me MA). I'm a taoist-buddhist, but I never feel I know enough about what "buddhism" means to really say I am one. So I hope this helps.

4. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

My name is Malia. The reason Buddhism interests me is because I endured a tough childhood and found my escape through the zen lifestyle. The more I can learn about it, the better harmony I will feel within myself.

5. elayne

elayne no longer available

Hello everyone, I think this class is going to be fun! I am not a practicing buddhist, but I want to get a better understanding of the mindset. I haven't been studying it very long, so there are many intrinsic aspects that I can't really grasp. I am trying meditation and finding that it is something that I needed and really enjoy.

6. Chris92

Chris92 Member

Im interested in this class because lately I've been doing a lot of searching for the answers of life and Buddhism makes the most sense to me so far but I dont know too much about it yet.

7. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I got interested in Buddhism in JR.High in history class~probably about the same time I became interested in vegetarianism (my history teacher was vegetarian).

I own a few different books on this subject:
    Buddhism for Dummies
    Awakening the Buddha Within
    Letting Go of the Person You Used To Be

8. CloudFlower

CloudFlower Member

I'm Julie, call me whatever. I live in Montana in the bitterroot mountains, I've always been quite transfixed on meditation... Just lately I've been going alittle deeper into the spiritual side of buddhism and found it something quite interesting to me. The more knowledge I have about it the better :)

9. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Awesome books! Awakening the Buddha Within, by Lama Surya Das I presume? That's actually one author of many that will be mentioned in this class.

10. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

yes, that the one.
    I have also gotten a few of Thich Nhat Hanh's books from the library when I was in Kentucky and just ordered some today online...along with a book that I don't think I have seen before called "One Breath at a Time:Buddhism and the 12 steps"

11. BoHiCa606

BoHiCa606 Member

Hey every one. wassup?

the reason i want to take this class is pure curiosity. but all i know is that i really want to know more about this.

12. Mayaxx

Mayaxx Member

Hey all.. Just joined this class as well..

I'm not a buddhist, or even religious, but I've always been interrested by buddhism, and have read a little about it here and there.

It's really interresting, and I want to learn more.. :)

13. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hi guys! I'm Rafael. You may call me that or Raf, Raffy, or Musikero. More and more I find myself drawn to Buddhism, particularly to Zen. My fiancee's a Japanese Buddhist while I am legally Roman Catholic; although I've been toying with the notion of "officially converting" for quite some time now.

14. LoverGirl89

LoverGirl89 Member

My name is Amanda. I am interested in learning about many different religions, particularly those that focus on meditation and the search for inner peace rather than going to sit in a pew once a week just because it is expected of you. Honestly, I don't know much about Buddhism, but that is what this class is for, right?

15. LoveConquers

LoveConquers Member

Well I guess its a little late in the game to jump in but....my name is Zach. I'm Jewish, but I've always had an interest in Buddhism. I believe pretty strongly in Judaism, but from what I understand a lot of Buddhist beliefs make sense too.

16. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i like the idea of buddhism very much

i like nothingness very much

i would like to read more and ask the odd question

but my main problem is forcing myself to sit still

all of my meditational moments of success have been while walking

[hard to do in winter in eastern montana]

so hints on indoor meditation will be most appreciated

17. jesseP

jesseP Member

hi iam jesse and a freshman in highschool so i am pretty young and just starting to get involved in buddhism
    so if there is anything that you would like to especially refer to me as a complete beginner i would be glad to accept it
    thankyou

18. LoveConquers

LoveConquers Member

I'm a freshman too...it has its ups and downs.

19. novemberhaze

novemberhaze Member

Hi im Jon im a vegitarian and i want to learn about more religions like buddhism.

20. novemberhaze

novemberhaze Member

hey zach were in NJ do you live i live in central jersey