Introduction

Discussion in 'Indian Vegetarian Cooking' started by Bhaskar, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Hi all!

I'm Bhaskar Raman, your guide through the wonderful world of Indian cooking. Although I was raised in India, until I turned 23 all I could make was lemonade and a mess. And the lemonade wasn't very good.

But then I moved to America and the harsh necessities of life taught me the culinary skills that I intend to share with y'all. I'm by no means an expert, but I have made every mistake there is, so I usually know the pitfalls.

But enough about me! Tell me all about you, and don't forget to mention how much you already know about Indian food (at least from eating it).

love and oatmeal,

Bhaskar

2. appleblossombumblebe

appleblossombumblebe Member

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I love Indian food but know very little about how to cook it. I am not a vegitarian though I believe I need to eat a more meatless diet for health reasons. I purchased spice mixes from a local indo-european grocier. Would you recommend these mixes or is it best to cook from scratch? Is Indian food fattening? My favorite dishes tend to be the saucey dishes (Tikka Masala, Makhani, Saag, Vindaloo). I especially love garlic naan and basmati rice (mmmm!) If I could eat nothing but Indian food for the rest of my life, I would! Thanks again! Apple

3. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

If you're careful to include variety, Indian food is very very healthy and won't make you fat. You can use spice mixes, but we'll get to that when we get to that.

4. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

Wow I'm excited about this class. Indian food is my favorite and i LOVE to cook it. I'm partial to channa masala and naan <3 Looking to learn anything I can. thanks for starting this course :)

5. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Welcome!

6. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

I grew up loving all kinds of Asian food. I'm no expert in cooking it, but seeing as my current honey is from Vietnam and works as a cook supervisor...he also does most of the cooking at home.

7. angel.love

angel.love Member

Hi! I became a vegetarian about 7 months ago. I've never really tried cooking any vegetarian food myself I usually go for the meatless chicken patties or Portabella Mushroom burgers. But I've realized I need to get out of the box food diet and start learning to cook my own food. I've never really tried much Indian food but I am willing to start. So thank you for starting up this class!

8. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Welcome! I'm sure you'll find some good ideas here.

9. novemberhaze

novemberhaze Member

hi my name is jon and i may be young but i love indian food and i have been a vegitarian since i was two by my own choice. every one else in my family eats meet and looking forword to this thanks.

10. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Welcome jon!

11. Whisper_in_your_ear

Whisper_in_your_ear Junior Member

Thank you for hosting this. I love Indian food, but have never tried to make any, though I have been successful on many other forms of cooking. I'm really looking forward to being able to 'cook it myself'.

12. RaggaButterfly

RaggaButterfly Member

hello im rebekah, thanks for this class, i love indian food and im constantly making currys :D be great to find out some indian vegetarian recipes . Thanks.

13. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

oh,I'm so glad I found this.I am in love with Indian food and am constantly trying to recreate the amazing dishes I've tried in authentic Indian resturants.I never totally get it though.It's always missing something but I don't know what :( I'd love to know how to make a great flavoursome vegetarian curry.I'm not sure where to start though.I usuallt start with the oil,then lots of onions and garlic,and seed spices.then add tomatoes and other spices and some curry powder.the spices I use usually are tumeric, rosemary, oregano.then I squeeze in some lemon and add the veggies.is there a better spice I'm missing cuz I don't know and can't find good recipies anywhere!

14. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Rosemary and oregano are not spices usually used in Indian cooking. I suggest trying cumin, black peppers, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. You could also use red chilli powder for heat and a little tamarind paste to make it a bit sour. Another useful spice is asafoetida, but don't overdo it. If you can buy fresh curry leaves at your local indian store, that would add a lot to your curries (also makes a great chutney). Diced fresh cilantro makes for a great garnish.

15. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

hold on a minute.. why have i NEVER seen this section until today? this is the most awesome section! i really hope i can help you get it buzzing with activity again!

i LOVE indian food. i have many questions! :D

16. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Well okay... shoot?

17. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

were to start?

masala? what is it? seasoning or a sauce? i had a very delicious vegetarian masala kofta dish a while back and want to recreate it at home and i'm lost.

lets start there.. :D

18. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Masala is a seasoning mix of spices and stuff. Basically it is powdered. There are many kinds of masala used according to dishes.