Intro~

Discussion in 'Sewing with an Artistic Mindset' started by Pharoah, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Hello and Welcome to this class~ There are a few things you will need to get started~
    ~ A sewing machine with a straight and a zig zag stitch
    ~ Schmetz sewing needles
    ~ Pins and pincushion
    ~ Seam Ripper
    ~ Measureing Tape
    ~ Material/fabric/thread to match/contrast

There are other things you might need, but these are the basics that will get you stitchin'.

Every Seamstress is part artist and part inventor. Creativity is often hindered by the dependance on ready made patterns. I encourage you to get over the fear and experiment! Create it and wear it with pride in knowing that you brought this into being!

We will learn the importance of draping and playing with fabric. Is it soft? Is it stiff? or is it something inbetween? How will it wash and how will it wear?

In this class we will look at hemp fibers as well as hemp blends. We will look at how we can reuse different materials and mend the clothes we already have. Dyes, Appliques and patchwork can extend the life of your clothing~
    Sewing with an artistic mindset is not just a hobby but a way of living. As with any medium you need to find your technique that works best for you and go with it. Art is a sigh from the depths of your soul, and when your soul speaks, you heed its word. Once you find your technique everything falls into place. Here I will show you a few techniques that I've learned by experimenting on my own and from sewing with others. This class is a great learing experience for me and I hope it will be for you as well~I encourage you to pass the flame of knowledge on to others!

Suggestions are welcome~ is there anything YoU would like to go over??

:)

2. usfcat

usfcat CaterCreeps

I'm definitely excited for learning about the dyes. That is definitely something I could learn more about.

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes, dye info is needed.

4. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Glad to hear it~ I just posted a little info in a new thread~ Please look into it and let me know if there is anything else :)

5. Lookit!

Lookit! Member

I would just love learning how to make those beautifyl patchy dresses and skirts...how to measure the fabric pieces from top to bottom of the creation, how to use stitches, make a waistline...how to make it not look lopsided because I cant put the pieces together in an organized way...
    I LOVE THIS CLASS!!! Thanks!

6. braveheartlion

braveheartlion Member

Is anybody else in love with their sewing machine? I really feel so warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it. Whenever people give me crafting items I am so overjoyed. I seriously find fabric shopping so fun.

Well, I just had to get that out and figured this was the place for it.
    I'm so glad I found this spot even if the last post was from 4 years ago, maybe we can get it started again.

I would love to show people how to also if they are around volusia county florida.