Intro books for the family?

Discussion in 'The Psychedelic Experience' started by HedraHelix, Aug 28, 2012.

1. HedraHelix

HedraHelix Guest

Hi guys :)

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for some books that would be a good intro to entheogens for spiritual use and personal growth that I could possibly give to my family to help them understand why I would want to go all the way to Peru to meet with the lovely Ayahuasca :)

I know they wouldn't understand but I'm hoping something like this would help. I mean I don't HAVE to tell them since they know I've been wanting to see the Rainforest since I was a little thing so they think that is the only reason I'm going. But I do want to be honest. Thing is they feel like all drugs are equal and all drugs are bad. Like doing drugs only means getting fucked up. But entheogens/psychedelics aren't "drugs" to me in that sense.

So since I'm not great at explaining things verbally and I don't really know how to work it into the conversation I was hoping this could help if you've heard of any book that could gently guide them into the topic? Thanks. And sorry if there's already a thread concerning this, but I couldn't find it so please point me in that direction if that's the case :)

2. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Now this might be interesting. I'm also signing under that.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Breaking open the Head by Daniel Pinchbeck may be a good introduction to exploring entheogens.

The book is easily readable, generally not as conceptually/philosophically abstract as some other
    books about Psychedelics, yet it still delivers the messages of how Psychedelics have been explored to catalyze transcendent spiritual states.

4. chadcr01

chadcr01 Senior Member

How does one go about finding a shaman in Peru? You just gonna go down there and scope it out and try to find a village with a legit one.. how does this work? Im curious

In terms of the book; go with guerrillabedlam on this one. I'm not too sure what would be good start for a straight edge who's never done drugs... have to be very careful too, cause a lot of information and speculation about this subject would turn them off immediately.. was going to suggest some McKenna cause he was pretty solid expert on shamanism, having studied it for 30 years or so. However there is nothing "gentle" about McKenna for the family at all... even when he's being tame he's ranting on about the absurd...

And you should come back here let us know how it went; The thing with your parents, the experience itself, and the rainforest! Wish you lots of love on your journey :)

Oh and also just don't stress the parent thing too much, no matter what happens.

5. HedraHelix

HedraHelix Guest

Thank you! I'll have to check that one out. :)

6. HedraHelix

HedraHelix Guest

Well, I kinda stumbled onto a website after watching someone's video on youtube telling of her experience. There are 2 retreats that have shamans and Ayahuasa ceremonies among other things that I know of. One is Nature's Hospital and the other is The Temple of the Way of Light. Both in Peru. I know there are others but these sound really good, both around the same price and 2 weeks long.

It'll be a while before I can go because I'm working on the saving up money part ;) plane ticket + all inclusive retreat = $$$$ yikes!

But I'll definitely let you all know how it works out. And I do have time to ease my family into the idea. Not that they could stop me anyway ;)

7. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

From chocolate to morphine by dr andrew wiel is hands down the best intro books on drugs and drug safety...... No nonsense unbiased book that tells the truth... The whole truth nd nothing but the truth bout drugs.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Chocolate-Morphine-Everything-Mind-Altering/dp/0618483799/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388008254&sr=8-1&keywords=from+chocolate+to+morphine"]From Chocolate to Morphine: Everything You Need to Know About Mind-Altering Drugs: Winifred Rosen, Andrew T. Weil M.D.: 9780618483792: Amazon.com: Books