Internet People

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Spagelo, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

People often post not how they are irl but how they'd LIKE to be!

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

You think? You can only hide your "true colors" for so long, even on the internet. Over time, we can all observe the patterns, if we are paying attention.

And don't most people attempt to act how they would like to be? They just aren't very good at it if their ideal self doesn't quite match up to to their real self.

3. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I'll be honest. I think I'm pretty much the same person online as I am in real life. My wording and mannerisms are very much the same. The only difference is I'll be a little more confrontational online.

And not in a way that I'm going to attack anyone. But if I disagree, I'll say so because after I say my piece I can walk away. Especially lately with all the political division in society, I don't feel like I can talk in person with someone and disagree to their face without getting stabbed. So I just shut my mouth and say nothing. Don't agree, don't disagree. Just stone face.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I cannot speak as fluent as i type, nor will I use the same words, and I probably won't argue as much, although I probably will but you'd finally see I'm just having fun..

Like I would never say "nor" I would have said "can't speak like dat, ain't usin' those words either" nah I'm not that bad lol. I probably come across loud and obnoxious but I have a soft voice.

Honestly I think people would get a completely different perspective and vibe from me in the IRL. I'm quirky as, but I think I you'd find, or at least I'd hope you'd find that, you'd be with me and I'm just normal person. Little bit OUT there, but relatively just like a person would be.

Unless we're watching sports because then I'm about as loud and obnoxious as I am online. :D

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i thought you were surrounded by rednecks, shouldn't you be more worried about getting filled with buckshot?

6. The internet is much different than real life when it comes to speaking. You can have your say, and it's in print, it lasts. In real life people are going about their business. They're not necessarily there to read what you write. I guess you could say the same thing about a forum, but I would disagree. We're all here to have our say and read others having their say. We're not just like, on our way somewhere and happen to be bumping into people. So I don't think there's necessarily a difference between people online and in real life.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

online half of what i say is in meme form. that's hard to do in real life. i can't just pin signs to my friend's forehead and chest describing some silly thing they may or may not have actually done.

pensfan13 likes this.
  8. People really aren't that phony online. My attitude and demeanor doesn't really change, anyway, even though I say a lot more. In real life I hardly ever speak. But the internet is real life. It's just a different format. What I'm saying is that I don't think there's really a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. You're not like, friendly in person one minute and then the next minute online in the shadows with bloodshot hypnotic eyes or what have you.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Sometimes.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I'm too lazy to do a meme but if I can say a relatable one liner within a background that matches...I find that easier.

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I talk about the same irl as I do here, except I try to stay conscience of the fact that none of you can read my body language, see my facial expressions or hear the sarcasm or whatnot in my voice. I honestly try not to offend, but I've sometimes read the things I've posted and thought, damn I'm an asshole. Irl it would have been obvious that I was poking fun at whoever.