Internet Connection with Notebooks/Laptops

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Insomniac_Junkie, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Insomniac_Junkie

Insomniac_Junkie Member

I was just curious, I'm thinking of buying a gateway laptop I have $1,200 but I am open for suggestions with whats better

also, when you do get a laptop how does it connect to the internet? Is there a device I have to buy that laches on to the laptop? Is it included in the computer itself? and would it work with a wireless network???

Sorry about all the questions but I know you guys won't let me down ;)

-thanks a ton!

2. Wetbikerider

Wetbikerider Member

you need a wireless router it comes with a transciver that plugs in your laptop this you must buy seperate. wireless can be hack if a guy sits in front of your house with a laptop .

3. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Most laptops you buy now will have a modem in it for dial up, and wifi built in.. :D Some also have ethernet, to plug a router or what not into, but if you have a wireless network, it should recognize it. :D

4. Insomniac_Junkie

Insomniac_Junkie Member

so those I won't need to buy any extensions or anything?

5. underplay

underplay Member

For $1200 it should have ethernet and a wireless card, give me the link to what your going to buy.

6. Insomniac_Junkie

Insomniac_Junkie Member

7. underplay

underplay Member

Yea, all of them from each link have wireless lan card.

8. Insomniac_Junkie

Insomniac_Junkie Member

So those ones look like a good buy? or should I try dell?

9. underplay

underplay Member

If it was me...
    1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834224026
    2) http://www.gateway.com/products/gconfig/prodhmseries.asp?seg=hm&gcseries=gtwym680&clv=Btn1

Or, one from this pool. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?submit=PROPERTY&SubCategory=32&maxprice=12000&bop=and&Order=rating.

That was just from about 5minutes of looking..you should keep on searching and compare prices for different stores, if you keep searching you will probably find a kickass deal, the most important feature you most likely need, is a good monitor, big hard-drive, and alot of ram, and maby a good video card, the first one has them. But keep on searching, unless you wanto get ripped off :)