Internal Vs. External Locus of Control

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by prism, Jan 16, 2005.

1. prism

prism :o

2. FemmeFatale

FemmeFatale Member

Both...but neither...

Meh, I don't feel like getting into a religious discussion. Ironic how it's a Sunday...

3. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

Well people are obviously biologically conditioned, Why our senses are nothing but distorted antennas that hardly tell us anything about what is available in the 'objective' external world. However, we do have the power of Will and Choice and are in complete control of how we craft the sensory information that we receive.

So! I think i think i think we are free in the sense that we can craft what we have available, but what we have available is limited and conditioned and completely out of our control.

Now, through a different perspective, the question that really kicks me in the butt is : Is our personality, that thing we find to be completely individual and unique, nothing but a product of our nurtue/culture?
    These are questions the greatest philosophers are pondering about and probably have died pondering some more!

Point being, these things run in circles and racing in a limitless track is pointless. I say be happy, bask in the beautiful pleasures of plife, and be compassionate. ....

Whoa good procrastination time

4. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

I find that i am control of most things that happen in my life, but streaks of luck sometimes appear and guides me through the rough parts. So i would have to say both...but primarily i am master of my destiny.

5. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

I dont even think i read that question right *laughs* I wish it was summer, in a field! with a slim joint, a fellow lover and dandelions dazzling on my crowns

6. prism

prism :o

hah...I wouldn't really classify this as a religious discussion. It pertains more to the way people take control of their lives...or not take control of their lives.

7. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

you are not master of your destiny, although that is the way one must live. You cannot defy the destiny of death. And that is the only argument against that

8. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

well its true that you can only be a master of your destiny to a point, but its the points inbetween life and death that you are able to try and control.

9. Rafaela

Rafaela Member

absolutely. The key element is perception. One can live in complete chaos and still feel a profound genuine peace. So we shouldn't be toiled by external things, something we'll never really be able to fully comprhend, and rather work with nature, something so precious and concentrate on introspection. Ergo Cognito Sum that is really the only truth we'll ever be completely certain of. And it's a beautiful thing the mind.

10. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

(I am a woman of great conflictions. :D)

To a certain extent, both are true.

There are other people and forces in this world you cannot control. However, you can control the way you view them, react to them etc. So in that way, the world is in your hands. I am a strong believer in power of mind... Life is whatever you make it. Cliche, but that's the only way I can think to word it at this hour. :p If you want happiness, you create it. You are master and god of your own universe, you control of your own destiny. Thinking otherwise too often leads to victimizing yourself.

And then the other side of me is highly superstitious, believes in fate, destiny, and luck. :D Ahaha...

I think there's a difference between believing in God/fate/higher powers, and believing you are helpless to them.

I need a nap. :D