Interesting ways to protest

Discussion in 'Protest' started by earthmother, Apr 22, 2007.

1. earthmother

earthmother senior weirdo

OK, use your imagination and give us some CRAZY ideas (legal ones) for eye catching and unusual ways to protest. Preferably things that the media might be interested in.

Here are a couple of my ideas. How about using hundreds of balloons filled with helium with the word PEACE written on them and setting them loose over town...

I also thought about painting my car in a far out way with the words "TRY KINDNESS" painted on the back.

There, your turn. And let's DO some of these!

2. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I think we should get 10,000 cars with 4 passengers in each, to converge on DC at the same time. It would screw up traffic for hours. Then, the cars should circle the capitol mall, and all the passengers should get out, strip, paint the word "PEACE" on each others' chests and PEACEFULLY march to the Capitol building.

What are they going to do with 40,000 naked people in handcuffs? And where can they claim they were hiding weapons? Enough camcorders running and no one gets hurt, plenty of news coverage and we DEFINITELY will get noticed. But the key is SECRECY. DC Metro Police, Capital Police and Federal Protective Services cannot know about this beforehand. As long as no one talks it's foolproof.

3. wackyiraqi

wackyiraqi Senior Member

What would you be protesting? Stopping pollution? Keeping the earth clean? Littering? I can't think of a better way than dispersing hundreds of latex balloons all over town. :rolleyes:

4. earthmother

Ya know what? I spend WEEKS out of my life every year picking up ridiculous amounts of trash that folks toss out along the roads. What diff does a few balloons make in a sea of cans, bottles, and BigMac wrappers? Most of the balloons would get picked up anyhow soon as they hit the ground by kids and people who like to collect things like that. If not, maybe I'll get them on my next round of trash detail.

Oh and I DID say put the word "PEACE" on them. That sort of connotes protesting war, doesn't it? The idea is to get peoples attention.

5. wackyiraqi

wackyiraqi Senior Member

I have been on this planet for a while now and I have yet to meet someone, adult or child, who likes to collect deflated latex balloons. I just cannot imagine that there are enough people that would want hundreds of them either. I also don't understand how people are going to get the message. The balloons will rise to fast for people to even see what they say, and when they return to the ground they will be at least partially deflated and probably hard to read. :rolleyes:

6. earthmother

Spoil sport. Ya don't do things like this without making sure there's media involvement. Otherwise what's the point? Ever see a helium balloon? They tend to float around until they lose JUST ENOUGH helium to come back down. Still readable. Still good enough for someone to play with. Ever hear of people putting messages INSIDE balloons and sending them off? And lots of times folks find them with the messages inside. The media coverage would cause people to be looking for them. And I have not heard any of YOUR brilliant ideas yet...

7. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Someone needs to come up with a sexy t shirt design that everyone wants to wear. The peace symbol was my generation's response. What is the new response from the new generations?

8. RaeOfSunshin3

RaeOfSunshin3 Member

Well, I recently participated in the national day of silence. It's to protest LGBT harassment and intolerance. You'd be surpirised how noticable being completely silent for a day is. Silence protests always seem affective and meaningful. You just have to be sure to have flyers to pass out explaining why you're silent for the whole day (because you can't talk..duh :D ). You have to really follow through and not say a word and it's also best if you have a large group doing it. Not likely to get media coverage though unless there is a truely substantial amount of participaters...

9. Zoomie

I still think 40,000 naked people on the Capitol steps will get some attention. But the pollution getting them there offsets the benefit.

10. steffan

steffan puffin

40000 naked people sounds like a damn good idea, but realy 40000 people just standing together and saying in one clear loud voice "we will not stand for this any longer" would be at least somewhat effective. of course at the current time the president obviously dosnt give a shit what the people want anyway

11. RaeOfSunshin3

RaeOfSunshin3 Member

yeah the president knows damn well public opinion..he's all about his agenda :(. Anyway though it would be really hard to get 40000 naked people..fun and effective but not so realistic

12. Zoomie

No one said anything about realistic :(

13. sentient

sentient Senior Member

One guy famously protested by flying his hang glider or microlite into the grounds of buckingham palace, while he was naked except for the fact that he had painted his balls green
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,3-2003150978,00.html

how about if people protested by joining crowds who line up to see some politicians walk past and then, as they do so, you drop your pants, have a shit into your hand and throw it at the politician

14. Zoomie

Because that's assault. Try peaceful protest.

15. Breakxeggs

Breakxeggs Member

knowing our generation.. probably something dumb.

16. Isil

Isil Member

A grapefruit o_O

17. Zoomie

Perhaps but you need to turn that to your advantage. A t-shirt with the bunny with a pancake on it's head picture on it.

Caption: This makes absolutly no sense. Neither does the war in Iraq.

18. steffan

steffan puffin

if 40000 texans stopped buying gas for a month I bet that would get there attention

19. Breakxeggs

Breakxeggs Member

I highly doubt you could EVER get that number of people to be able to do anything as a group.

20. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

trash is bad for animals... we used to release balloons in elementary school until a girl protested that they can be eaten by animals or suffocate them... not good.

maybe we should think of simpler ways to protest. like what products we buy, what newspapers we support (tabloids vs. politics/foreign affairs/social issues), what magazines we purchase (some girly magazines post articles about current events, some don't). how about posting a blog about what you care about, signing up for newsletters and spreading the word to friends, writing your congressmen (all you have to do is write a postcard with a very brief description because it's all about numbers-how many ppl wrote about this issue... not content), signing petitions to send to your congressman.... etc etc