Interesting Kiwi sayings

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by barefooted_in_iowa, Jun 22, 2010.

1. barefooted_in_iowa

barefooted_in_iowa Member

I absolutely love to hear Kiwi and sayings! for instance, I was just made aware of the saying "being an egg" from a story on nzherald.com

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10653826

being an egg? that is classic! I'm going to start using that one. I'm assuming that it means being an a-hole.

My 2 other favorites that I like, and use are "she'll be right mate" and "sweet as!"

What are some other kiwisms that you can think of?

2. barefooted_in_iowa

how about 'tickity boo' (everything is alright). 'Being an egg' still takes the cake :p

3. barefooted_in_iowa

Kia Ora Ni Hao!

This one has been on my mind! I was watching a Jay Leno interview with the Hell's Kitchen host, and he calls a 'piece of butter' a 'knob of butter' and pronounces it 'knob o' buhh-ahh'! I know he is not a Kiwi, but maybe Kiwis have borrowed this saying from the Poms?

Cheers!

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I'm struggling to think of anything Kiwi and all I can come up with is Maori...Lord of the rings film shoots and a really good movie about an abusive father that I can't remember the name but it won lots of awards I think at International movie festivals

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

oh and Laura May :D

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

it was Once were warriors

[​IMG]

7. barefooted_in_iowa

Kia Ora!

I have noticed this a lot listening to the BBC, but Poms will frequently add an 'er' to words that end in the letter 'a'. They call it the United States of 'Americer' and China turns to 'Chiner'. Around the time of the Chch quake, on a BBC radio show, a Pom interviewed a Kiwi and I payed close attention to the differing accents, and I can somewhat differentiate, but I failed to pay attention to the Kiwi pronunciation of ending-in-a words. Do Kiwis also put an 'er' on the end of words that end with 'a'? I absolutely love your Kiwi accents by the way.

Cheers!

8. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

I just said the words outloud, to me it sounded more like I was saying Chiy-Neh and Americeh, didnt sound like I was emphasising an R, but I certainly wasnt emphasising an A

9. barefooted_in_iowa

Kia Ora!

Off topic random question:

Do you, as a Kiwi, eat 'marmite' a lot? What american food does it taste like? While visiting a Kiwi blog, I noticed that they kept talking about this marmite stuff on sandwiches and making it sound like it were the greatest thing in the world.

Cheers!

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

my friends name is kiwi..

11. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

Yeah I eat it somewhat regularly. When I was a kid I thought it was absolutely vile, but last year my flatmate insisted i try it again and its a decent spread .

I dont know how to describe it. its not at all sweet, maybe bitter? I dont know. Its really fucking intense on its own so I have to mix it with like butter or some other spread. I cantt think of anything to compare it to, sorry :p

12. BornHippy

BornHippy Member

'u rat bag' what some adults say to cheeky children lol 'bro'(as in mate), 'sup'(as in whats up), a new one that i hate 'skux'(as in something cool)

13. barefooted_in_iowa

Kia Ora Ni Hao!

I know you have the word bloke (probably most commonly used, no?) for men, but what is your most commonly used slang for women? do you call them chicks too? If not, you just learned some american slang.

Cheers!

14. Dancing til Dawn

Dancing til Dawn Senior Member

I love it when kiwi's agree they say 'true' and 'hey' after almost every sentence aww i miss the land of the long white cloud-
    :rolleyes:

15. barefooted_in_iowa

I heard a Pom use the saying "out to lunch" which == "a little batty" in america. Also, do Kiwis eat as much cabbage as Poms :p?

16. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I have a kiwi vine. It produces inch long, smooth skinned green fruit. Very sweet.

17. Horny57

Horny57 Visitor

18. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

don't forget telling someone they're a 'dag.' (dried sheep shit on their wool!)

and of course "good as gold"

I miss NZ too,

ex-pat Kiwi,

Simon :sunny:

19. oceanicbliss

oceanicbliss Member

Che Bro - yeah man
    Yeah Nah - Maybe
    Heaps - Alot
    Choice - cool
    Egg - Dickhead
    Tu Meke - Awesome
    Ace - Awesome
    Stink - dumb
    Clag - foggy
    Vegas - means a town that thinks its cool but isn't like Rotorua is called Rotovegas or Ashburton is called Ashvegas
    Tron - see above Hamilton is called Hamiltron

20. nz_tripper

nz_tripper Member

heaps choice - very good
    chur bro - thanks mate
    aks - as in can i aks you a question
    cuz - cousin

i should be able to think of heaps more haha too much time in australia!