Inspiring quotes from hinduism and other sources

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by half a hippie, Aug 22, 2005.

1. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

2. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I like this one best:

The average man cannot think clearly, but is ruled by explosions of his emotions. ~ Yogananda

MeAgain, wyldwynd and Ajay0 like this.
  4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Thoughts and emotions come from the same source. Thoughts are the dry expressions of the mind, emotions are juicy. The way you think is the way you feel. ~ Sadghuru

Self-awareness is increased much more rapidly by observing feelings rather than thoughts. The thoughts associated with even one feeling may literally run into the thousands. The understanding of the underlying emotion and its correct handling is, therefore, more rewarding and less time-consuming than dealing with one’s thoughts. ~ David R. Hawkins

Focus on the feeling itself, not on the thoughts. Thoughts are endless and self-reinforcing, and they only breed more thoughts. Thoughts are merely rationalizations of the mind to try and explain the presence of the feeling. The real reason for the feeling is the accumulated pressure behind the feeling that is forcing it to come up in the moment. ~ David R. Hawkins

Thousands and even millions of thoughts can be replaced by a single emotion. Emotions are more basic and primitive than mental processes. ~ David R. Hawkins

Feelings come and go, and eventually you realize that you are not your feelings, but that the real “you” is merely witnessing them. ~ David R. Hawkins

5. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Violence generates more violence; hatred produces more hatred. Peace cannot be conquered. Peace cannot be the result of violence. Peace comes to us only when we dissolve the Ego, when we destroy within us all those psychological factors that produce war. ~ Samael Aun Weor

We must experience the Truth in a direct, practical and real way; this is only possible in the stillness and silence of the mind, and this is achieved by means of meditation. ~ Samael Aun Weor

What is the use of education if we do not become creative, conscious and truly intelligent? Real education does not mean knowing how to read and write. Any stupid person, any fool can know how to read and write. We need to have intelligence and it only awakens within us when the consciousness awakens. ~ Samael Aun Weor

When consciousness has awakened it is not something sensational or spectacular. It's simply a reality as natural as the one of a tree that has growth slowly and developed without starts or sensational stuffs. Nature is Nature. ~ Samael Aun Weor

6. ~Zen~

"Violence generates more violence; hatred produces more hatred. Peace cannot be conquered. Peace cannot be the result of violence. Peace comes to us only when we dissolve the Ego, when we destroy within us all those psychological factors that produce war. ~ Samael Aun Weor"

I think this quote sums up the basis of the problem in the UKRAINE.

Ajay0 and wyldwynd like this.
  7. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

77F398BD-7AB3-46F4-918E-5FEE2A3F2AB9.jpeg
    -I love to see the very same beauty ~

This place is very near to where I live ...which also welcomes everyone

Ajay0 likes this.
  8. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Silent observation of mind separates your true identity from the flood of your thoughts. ~ Brahmakumaris

While doing sadhana you must quieten your mind and keep awake the purusha consciousness behind all your activities. ~ Aurobindo

Yoga is the settling of the mind into silence. When the mind has settled, we are established in our essential nature, which is unbounded Consciousness. Our essential nature is usually overshadowed by the activity of the mind. ~ Patanjali

9. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

An ethical life purifies the mind. By living an ethical life, one progresses towards the realization of the Divine. ~ Sri Anandamayi Ma

Behavior influences consciousness. Right behavior means right consciousness. ~ Taisen Deshimaru ( Zen Buddhist master and founder of Association Zen Internationale )

Behavior influences consciousness. Right behavior means right consciousness. Our attitude here and now influences the entire environment: our words, actions, ways of holding and moving ourselves, they all influence what happens around us and inside us. The actions of every instant, every day, must be right...Every gesture is important. How we eat, how we put on our clothes, how we wash ourselves, how we go to the toilet, how we put our things away, how we act with other people, family, wife, work - how we are: totally, in every single gesture. ~ Taisen Deshimaru

10. ~Zen~

From my own observations of people and life I believe the above to be true!

Ajay0 likes this.
  11. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Easy to do are things that are bad and harmful to oneself. But exceedingly difficult to do are things that are good and beneficial. ~ Buddha ( Dhammapada 163)

Sin is easy to commit. ~ Ashoka

If there is a right thing and a wrong thing, it takes longer for the right thing to be implemented, while the wrong thing will be implemented immediately. ~ Dada Bhagavan

The nature of the mind is such it ignores all the good and holds on to the negative. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

The mind naturally tends towards evil deeds. It is lethargic in doing good work. That is why I say that perseverance and tenacity are necessary for success in all works.~ Sri Sharada Devi

The nature of the mind is to be easy-going and indolent. It loves to shirk responsibility and to get attached to the senses and their objects. A careless man gets attached to sense-pleasures and becomes weak and stupid. The mind of such a man gets impure and weak. ~ Swami Narayanananda

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  12. ~Zen~

The nature of the mind is such it ignores all the good and holds on to the negative. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

This is decidedly true today, especially in regards to what the media throws at us.

Todd56 and Ajay0 like this.
  13. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Do you know the ego feels its existence in negativity and in positivity the ego doesn't feel so strongly? The ego pulls the mind back to negativity to feel its existence. Go back to your past: how many bad events of life do you remember and how many good events? You will find 90% are bad and more clear. 10% are good but like in a fog. This is the great power of our ego. ~ Baba Hari Dass

In good things, the ego doesn't feel its strength of individuality as strongly as in doing bad things. If you do bad things, the ego is right there in the present. Then its memory which repeats in the past. Then its imagination of doing bad things in the future appears. If we look back in our own life, what do we remember the most? All bad things we did or people did to us. Memories of good things appear as if veiled by fog. ~ Baba Hari Dass

The tendency of the mind is to hold on to something negative. If ten compliments and one insult are given, the mind holds on to the negative - that one insult. So when we know this, we are already one step out of it.

Time and again, we must realize: 'I am going on a negative trip' and immediately come back to the here and now. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

If we reflect on your past, you will notice that all bad things that happened to you appear as if they happened yesterday and the memory of good things appear as if in a fog.

Our ego feels its presence more deeply in pain or in pain causing events, thoughts, emotions. So we always think about such things which bring unhappiness. In that unhappiness, we feel 'its happening to me' even though it happened 10-20 years ago. So pain and suffering are the expressions of the ego caused by desires and attachments. ~ Baba Hari Dass

We are attached to our negative qualities because they strengthen our ego. We feel our existence more in our negative aspect of life. ~ Baba Hari Dass

Desire to be happy is a natural thing in all human beings. But the mind likes to be in pain by bringing the past memories and not seeing any progress in the future.

If we dwell on the negative side of the mind, then we can't be happy in any situation. ~ Baba Hari Dass

Human ego is very attracted to negative qualities, so it needs much austerity to develop positive qualities. ~ Baba Hari Dass

14. ~Zen~

I see the evidence every day around me of people who live in a negative state of mind.

It is really a drag to say the least...

My mentor, and others have told me put a smile on your face, it makes the whole world around you smile.

It works, believe me!

If someone walks around with a frowning face ... well how does that help?

MeAgain and Ajay0 like this.
  15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve, and bad things are very easy to get. ~ Confucius

Human nature is evil, and goodness is caused by intentional activity. ~ Xun Kuang

Virtue is voluntary, vice involuntary. ~ Plato

A person is born with feelings of envy and hate. If he gives way to them, they will lead him to violence and crime, and any sense of loyalty and good faith will be abandoned. ~ Xun Kuang

A person is born with desires of the eyes and ears, and a liking for beautiful sights and sounds. If he gives way to them, they will lead him to immorality and lack of restriction, and any ritual principles and propriety will be abandoned. ~ Xun Kuang

Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles. ~ Xun Kuang

When people lack teachers, their tendencies are not corrected; when they do not have ritual and moral principles, then their lawlessness is not controlled. ~ Xun Kuang

Therefore, a person should first be changed by a teacher's instructions, and guided by principles of ritual. Only then can he observe the rules of courtesy and humility, obey the conventions and rules of society, and achieve order. ~ Xun Kuang

Each new generation born is in effect an invasion of civilization by little barbarians, who must be civilized before it is too late. ~ Thomas Sowell

16. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The root of virtue is a mind free from the three poisons of aversion, attachment, and ignorance. ~ Phakchok Rinpoche

All vices are connected to the feeling of wanting or desiring. All desires keep us in the illusion of fulfillment that is gained only for a fleeting moment. ~ Dadi Janki ( Prajapita Brahmakumaris )

To think and act under the influence of vices is to commit violence because the soul is violating its true nature of peace, joy, love and power. The five forms of violence committed by human beings are to indulge in five vices—lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego. All vices are connected to the feeling of wanting or desiring. All desires keep us in the illusion of fulfillment that is gained only for a fleeting moment. ~ Dadi Janki

~Zen~ likes this.
  17. ~Zen~

I see a theme there Ajay0! definitely thinking about this...

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if we obsess on vices and the avoidance of them, is this not also aversion? (i speak from my own guilt)

the gratifications that come from creating and exploring, from what you've made that may last and continue to be of use, and knowledge gained from exploring,
    while often not exciting or spectacular, these are gratifications that are worth their pursuit, should the opportunity to pursue them arise.

all beliefs, while otherwise a good thing, or usually one, if one never looks beyond their letter, it becomes too easy to deny the reality of the diversity of the possible.
    at least i see people doing that all the time, and claiming it to be the mandate of their beliefs. and then i also see their depression from it biting them.

19. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Desires slay patience. ~ Vidura (Mahabharatha)

If you have patience, then you'll also have love. Patience leads to love. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi

Patience leads to love. If you forcefully open the petals of a bud, you won't be able to enjoy its beauty and fragrance. Only when it blossoms by following its natural course, will the beauty and fragrance of a flower unfold. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi

Patience is all the strength that a person needs. ~ Sai Baba

Our patience will achieve more than our force. ~ Edmund Burke

Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting. ~ Joyce Meyer

Patience is a form of wisdom. It demonstrates that we understand the fact that sometimes things must unfold in their own time. ~ Jon Kabat Zinn

Bear sorrows and calamities patiently, otherwise you will never be happy. ~ Ali ibn Abi Talib

Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy. ~ Saadi

I will be patient till even patience tires of my patience. ~ Ali ibn Abi Talib

granite45 likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

If you have patience, then you'll also have love. Patience leads to love. ~ Mata Amritanandamayi

This is TRUE!