Inscent Body and Hairspray

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by Topher D., Dec 29, 2008.

1. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

Now, this is an untested idea, but an idea none the less.

My theroy is to take a bunch of cone inscence of your own liking (mix and mingle different scents for cool combinations) grind em up in a coffee grinder until they are a fine powder, then you perform a simple alcohol based extraction on the scented powder, allow the alcohol to evaporate, and scrape up the residual powder, from there you can throw it in a spray bottle with some water, and shake before applying.

not sure if it would work, but is anyone willing to give it a try?

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

you are dealing with particulate matter: possible clogging of a spray bottle.
    Perhaps the alcohol soak with loosely broken incense could re-extract the oils.
    Do watch for color changes in the liquid.

I commonly get a drop or two of my fave oils and put them in water or alcohol for "body" spray.

3. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

that was what i used to do. but with patchouli oil being fifteen bucks for a small vial. smelling like a scruffy hippy is something reserved only for the richest of scruffy hippys

4. drumminmama

a simple thought: go beyond patchouli?

5. Topher D.

Topher D. Senior Member

i know. its stereotypical. but i love the scent. its a very homey and nostalgic smell for me.

6. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

The local occult shop here sells body oils in incense fragrances. I use dragon's blood and sometimes naq champa, he sells patchouli but I haven't tried it. The vials are 2 for $7.

7. drumminmama

OK. Here's the money math on this.
    I'm using the highest cost P in the area, from Isis Books (pagan new age witchy-poo store)
    The vial was $18. Twice all the other oils. I don't suggest these folks.
    My spray bottle holds 10 oz of water.
    To scent the bottle, I use 3 drops (plus one drop of tangerine as a top note, but let's leave that out for now).
    the vial looks to hold a couple hundred drops, easily, based on the level after I first used it.
    Let's call it 150 drops which makes up for a spill
    along the way.
    150 drops=$18
    150 drops is 50 refills of the bottle. 36 cents per bottle fill.