Info on Thailand needed!!

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by CrochetBoy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. CrochetBoy

CrochetBoy Member

I'm planning on moving to Thailand,and would appreciate any help you guys and gals can give me. Cost of the trip,cost of living,how to support myself,etc. Thanks for your help!!
    Namaste!!

2. Frenchfries007

Frenchfries007 Member

what city are u going to stay? cost of living in thailand is not so expensive. food is cheap and delicious. How to support yourself? what kind of job u gonna do here? if u have a job here, then it'll be not difficult to survive there. anyway i live in thailand

3. sabailos

sabailos Member

Namaste. I lived in Thailand for one year. Give me some specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

4. Non-existence

Non-existence Member

Hi, I'm in Thailand. :) need to know more about ur info to live here too.

Post more.
    namaste ^*^

5. sabailos

sabailos Member

Sawatdee khrap, khun non-existence.

What are plans? Do you want to backpack? Stay in a small village? Become a beach bum? Run a business in Bangkok? Do volunteer work with hill tribes on the Burmese border? Just need you to narrow down the options for me. :)

6. Peterness

Peterness Member

Hey, i'm also going to Thailand in about January-Febuary 2006 as part of a bigger tour of SE Asia (Cambodia, South Vietnam, possibly Laos) and India!!

Obviously i've done tonnes of research online and bought lonely planet and rough guide books and also spoken to people I know who've been. But a couple of queries:

How hard is it to find work in Thailand??? What kind of work is available??? Is it hard to get work visas (do you really need work visas?)?

I was thinking that if I like it there I might get some bar work or something so I can stay a bit longer.

7. Peterness

Peterness Member

Oh yeah, i'm backpacking btw. :)

8. sabailos

sabailos Member

Almost no chance of working behind a bar. The country has very strict labor laws. It is one of the jobs that foriegners are excluded from. The easiest way to make money is to teach English. There are many openings. If you have white skin and wear a shirt and tie, you're almost gauranted employment.

9. Peterness

Peterness Member

yes, i was also told it's easy to get a job teaching english.

It's it really true you don't need any high qualifications like a degree?? I only have an AS Level in English.

10. Non-existence

Non-existence Member

Sawadee, khun Sabailos ^*^
    I'm just curious if we've seen each other before. What do u mean "just need you to narrow down the options for me." ?

You are one of my friend coming to kidding me right?

11. SpliffVortex

SpliffVortex Senior Member

not after those tsunami videos .

12. sabailos

sabailos Member

Non-existence,
    Kit wa, mai khoey haa khun. Chuu arai khrab? Khun bpen khon thai mai? yuu thii nai khrab? Kawtoht na khrab, mai mii salaa thai. :(

13. Non-existence

Non-existence Member

Hi sabailos!
    ^*^, Mai mii salaa thai kor mai bpen-rai. I can read it, tho.
    Bpen khon thai ka. yoo thii Khon Kaen. And what about you? Well, I'm still curious what you mean in da former post, really. Now, I believe that we've never seen each other before, hehe. Sorri, I got you wrong ^^"
    ~peace
    Benjo

14. iluvmorocco

iluvmorocco Member

Thailand is best known for its food and shops, aside from the serenity of Phuket, the lively resorts of Pattaya and the frech mountain air of Chiang Mai. Good luck in your trip to Thailand! [​IMG] If you want an exotic place as your next destination, then consider a trip in Morocco,. I can fill you with every details you need about that place. thanks!

15. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Fuck me, you must be on the pay roll for the Moroccon tourist board, you can't seem to post without mentioning Morocco.

16. sabaidee

sabaidee Guest

Hi there.

I can tell you its nearly impossible to find a job in thailand if you are not selfemployed by the internet or have enough money for open your own business. The normal jobs like a car mechanic, a barkeeper or some industrial jobs are reserved for the thai people so in this niche foreigners can not work. You also have to know that worker in thailand earns between 150 and 200 dollars per months for a fulltime job.
    I met some people before who starting a business a thailand what means that they buy a bar or a restaurant for her lady. 99% of them get ripped of by the girl or by the government because as a foreigner you CAN NOT own land or houses.
    The succesful people in thailand are these who came there before long time and open a business in the 80s or these one who working on the internet. I met english teachers also but when i heard how much they get for a month i want to start crying. Same with these guys who came to thailand as a diving teacher. Can you dive ?
    You can believe me, Thailand is not waiting for workers who want to do the same job like the Thai people. They have enough unemployed and a foreigner who dont bring money for the country is a "useless" Tourist and never get some papers like a workpermit or something else.

Im sorry but i see a lot of people with big dreams in thailand.
    Thats why i want you hear something about the truth here.

Best regards,
    sabaidee

17. jacinthemilton

jacinthemilton Member

You can live in Thailand for only $300. The food there are just cheap and also the accommodation in a hotel or a hostel.

18. vietnam travel

vietnam travel Member

Do you want to become an English teacher, Petterness?