indoor lavender (for now)

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*, Jan 23, 2009.

1. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

my lavender is not looking too good. im keeping it in a pot during this winter, i know it needs to keep dry , how often should i water it? any tips?

2. Sea Breeze

Sea Breeze Member

Lavender will survive outdoors in most, (even quite harsh snowy) conditions during the winter, although in or out of a pot, but it will need cutting back/pruning before the spring. It doesn't do great indoors as the foliage tends to get too dry and needs to be sprayed occasionally. Watered but well drained also. Don't let it get overly dry.

3. zenloki

zenloki Member

does it have any supplemental light? even a flourescent directly above and close will help. did this with my tropicals and when they went outside come spring, immediately started growing. without the light there was a considerable time before growth began, perhaps a couple weeks or more.

4. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

its in a pot, in my kitchen thats has flourescent lighting. they wont stand up. and yeah, they are dry, i keep trying to keep them moist enough without over watering them. ive started putting them in front of a window to get some light.

is it best to spray the foliage than to use a watering can?

5. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

This is a pic of my lavender.

6. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

ummm,, forget the water.. lol

im sorry,,lol.. we are laughin our asses off..

deep breaths,...

i hate to tell you but your plants beyond hope..lol

just set the bucket on the porch an come spring get a new plant..lol

im sorry that picture was just too fucking funny...

seriously,at this point its out of your hands.. set it outside on the porch where it will get some sun. if it lives it lives,,LOL i highly doubt it,but if not just start over come spring and leave it out next winter..

it happens,cant learn if ya dont try..;)

7. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

The plants are dead. I would read up on the plants you want before spending $ and time on them.

So I would have to agree with HBH.

sh

8. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

I have found it to be so, that you cannot grow wild flowers/outdoors plants inside with much success. Of course you can certainly grow them in a greenhouse type enviroment, under the right conditions.

Flowering plants need sunlight and heat/humidity to flourish.

Try again this Spring and keep them outdoors, they will winterize fine with plenty of mulch. Avoid planting out of season or you wont have much success. There is a season for all things.

sh

9. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

they were fine in the summer., we moved, and they were put inside in the back room, and it was too cold. my other plants went back to life, but these guys just look pathetic! lol. i knew that if i showed a pic that it would give a better visual. they have never grown full sized as you can tell, they were just starting to grow.

no hope? i wont dump em. ill give them some time. theyre not in the way or anything. but yeah, i was wondering if theyre hopeless or not. they look so sad next to all my other plants! oh well. it wasnt even a dollar for the seeds.

*edit* they were outdoor plants before, i know that they suppose to be outdoors, but thought that it would be better to put them inside during the winter.. they're my first lavender! :eek: (was i supposed to keep them outside to freeze and then they would come back?)

10. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

our lavender stays in the ground year round unmulched and our temperatures regularly get into the single digits through the winter..

only thing we do is trim it a little in the fall,then come spring trim it back to a third is size. its healthy and happy..

11. RandomOne

RandomOne Member

Good choice, I've read that lavender is one of the only scientifically proven aphrodesiac smells for both men and women. Works better than any cologne or perfume :)

12. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

RIP little lavendar plants.

13. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

yes, may they rest in peace, and i will do better the second time. :)

14. zenloki

zenloki Member

if you haven't thrown out the plants, poke around in the soil to see if the roots are mushy and gone or firm and ready for spring. it may have gone dormant since it didn't get what it needed and if it is dormant, set it in a cool place until time to plant. don't give it any water either.

15. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

ok. i'll try that. i still have them.

16. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

They're dead, trust me. Lavendar doesn't go dormant by turning a sickly gray color.