Indian Instruments (Sitar, Tamboura, Tabla, and Saringi)

Discussion in 'India' started by ChinaCatSunflower67, May 22, 2012.

1. ChinaCatSunflower67

ChinaCatSunflower67 Member

Alright, Im excited! One of my parents Co-worker is flying back to india in a few months and offered to pick me up an instrument of my choice. Ive been really interested in such instruments as the Sitar, Tamboura, Tabla, and Sarangi.

If anyone has some good knowledge on these instruments and wouldnt mind giving me a hand on picking out what I want that would be awesome! Im also wondering what the prices ranges for sitar's in India are for a decent sitar (not cheaply made). Thanks for the help!:daisy:

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'd go with a Sitar as that is the lead instrument (if you were to equate these to western music) and you can find "backing tracks" or loops of the others to play along with. Have fun finding a quality Sitar though.

3. ChinaCatSunflower67

ChinaCatSunflower67 Member

Yeah im leaning more to the Sitar, Tabla, and Sarangi. I dont only want to learn these instruments in a western style though, im deeply interested in the way eastern music is written and I plan to explore more of it. found a great site that will hook me up with what I need, check it out... http://www.sitar-tabla.com/index.html looks legit to me, plus high quality branded sitars.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've been on that site before... :2thumbsup:

5. Madesh

Madesh Member

I bought a high quality Sitar in Mumbai a couple of years ago for about Rs4000 it was apparently the best in the shop (I'm no expert). I'm not a great player but I can get a tune out of it. I suppose it depends on the region you visit to prices etc. but bargains can be had.

Madesh:)

6. aalgoma

aalgoma Guest