Independent contractors vs. employee/ WWE vs. the left wing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 1, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Jon Oliver did a segment on WWE wrestlers' status as independent contractors. They are not able to work anywhere else and EVERYTHING about them from what they say to how they cut their hair is dictated by the WWE. They are in no way independent. For a childhood fan like me this is nothing new. We knew they were not treated fair. I feel like it's not discussed since to most people wresting is "fake" and they assume there is no risk of injury.

I thought this was interesting since it's known WWE owner Vince McMahon is a hardcore 1% Republican who is friends with Trump. His wife is on his staff as well. So much so Trump supporters are now rallying around this piece as more "fake news" even thought this all been known since the 1980's when former Governor and wrestler Jessie Ventura tried to unionize. Interesting to me that people who don't even like wrestling now have strong opinions on party lines. They only see the 1% attacked not the actual substance of the story. Also I'd like to add that some of the coolest wrestlers out there today are usualy from Mexico or Japan. So not all of us have the Trump issue with Spanish, some of are are very entertained by them.

This status of employee is also a common tactic in other sectors so the 1% can get richer at the expense of labor. I think outside of wrestling it's an important issue. Independent contractors have their place but mostly it's so benefits do are not offered from the company.

An interesting topic to learn about if you have the time for the videos. What do other people think of independent contractors?