Inaugural Address and Call to Action

Discussion in 'Protest' started by issablue, Jan 21, 2005.

1. issablue

issablue Member

in .wav and readable formats on www.savewisconsin.org
    Get the resistance moving!

2. issablue

issablue Member

Sorry I should have just put it up in the first place.

by,

Jonathan Dedering

I am sick of watching the news and only seeing death. Studies say that more than 100,000 Iraqis have died as a direct result of the occupation. The tsunami death toll rose last week to more than 225,000 lives. And George W. Bush is living it up in DC with corporate sponsors spending 40 million dollars on his inauguration celebration. Our country is for sale and the highest bidders make up less than one percent of the population.

I believe that if we were really fighting for a better world we would not cut 286 million dollars in funding to the Environmental Protection Agency or 340 million dollars to the Center for Disease Control. I believe that if we were really fighting for a better world we would not spend 399 Billion dollars on defense. Maybe that is why the $280 billion dollar surplus Bush inherited has turned into a record $372 billion dollar deficit. That’s a 652 billion dollar difference.

We must accept that our policies are infringing on the rights of other nations to govern themselves freely. This is not to say that we as a nation do not have a right to step in and end the oppression of a peoples but that we have an obligation to humanity to remain as an example of peaceful autonomy.

We must not be blinded; we must see that the Terrorists do not attack us because they hate our freedom, but because we threaten theirs. Just weeks ago Osama Bin Laden appeared on television in an attempt to explain to the American people that it is our policies that make us targets for attack. They threaten us because we threaten them. Every death creates new enemies.

Abraham Lincoln said, “We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”

The Bush administration has perverted the constitution and now we must become patriots ready to defend the country against the government. We must ask ourselves:

Where will we be in four years?

Where will we be in ten years?

Where will we be in fifty years?

We’re trying to create democracy across the globe when what we need to be doing is rethinking our own. Those who suppress freedom always do so in the name of law and order.

Let us now take back our freedom. Now is the time for dissent. Let us raise up our fists in solidarity against our common enemy, the traitor George W. Bush.