In what language would we think if we wouldn't know how to speak?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Wolfman's Brother, Jul 15, 2013.

1. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

instead of talking we would ACT!

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No one can know for sure, but when our ancestors were located in and /or around the Olduvai gorge in Africa, the communication must have been about the same as ,say canines, action-reaction, until very rudimentary sounds regarding the most basic of needs such as --food--shelter,danger--sex, began to have meaning through experiential events that eventually from repetition, became simple language.

3. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I like Marlon Brando in Last Tango in Paris. Sex is thinking really about the need to reason, or ignore Reason. Eating then is reasoning that health is better than interpreting what we eat.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

language is a front end that enables us to communicate with each other, but i was dreaming just fine before my body was ever born into this world. the mind recognizes and actually "thinks" in terms of relationships and sequences. of things, experiences, everything. language is a shell over the top of that, that becomes completely transparent when we graduate from infancy, that we are just all the time translating things into and out of.

this is not limited to humans. all chordate have this curiosity to explore. we only go one step beyond that in wanting to create too.

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

Uga uga..mah mah.....go find food for ya kids....
    My parents taught me....its family tradition, just befor the elder grabs you by the hair, and pulls you to the shops....

6. MyWORDiTtruth

MyWORDiTtruth Member

it is hard to remember your question. about languages. if we don't speak we don't have language.der..maybe you should slow down on the weed a bit bud.

7. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

What about non-spoken languages? Like sign language, or binary signals sent through a cable.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

This is what i was thinking when i read the question. I was trying to think of when i dont use language in my head and what popped up is when i play hockey.
    Except for when i am communicating with other players i ignore language and just think about what the other player is doing. There is no time to translate my thoughts at that time. I may be thinking he always puts his stick on the right side so i will go to the left but i dont actually think it in a language its more like thinking it by visuals and visualizing what i expectto happen or what could happen.

9. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

Morse Code...;-)