I'm wondering what military service to join once I turn of age... hmm?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Revenant Phantasm, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

You really don't have a clue, do you? (...and I'm not just talking about your piss-poor English).

2. Lodog

Lodog ¿

Sorry about my english. My English teacher tried using rules and regulations to try and brainwash me into doing what he wanted. I was to smart for him though. I wouldn't conform to everybody's way of using conjuntions, correct spelling, and pluralses like a bunch of sheep. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, but I disagree. I'm in the army and I just looooove to kill. If someone came at me with a foolish pen I'd pump him full of led while listening to Metallica at an extremely loud volume while smoking a cigar cursing the whole Hippy establishment while praying to Bush. because that's the typical soldier steriotype and we all know that steriotypes are true of all people.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

Ok little boy. Time to stop signing in on daddy's computer.

4. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

i think you should join army of one.
    the army of one man tryin not to get his ass killed, his mind raped, or his time wasted.

5. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

It's not about saddam, we have saddam, the war is still going on...

6. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

my brother james joined the coast gaurd, received fire fighter training. my brother brad joined the navy and worked as a medic. there's also the engineers & shit that go running around putting shit together after natural or man-made disasters. i recommend that shit. it's extremely rewarding.

7. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

you have to be nuts. if you join the military willingly. dont expect my grief whne you die soon.

8. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

It looks like we're fifty-fifty on this.

I'm an extremely open-minded person, mind you, and this is my opinion..not that too many of you care...

I have seen it over and over again...friends going to the military as one kind of person and come out as a complete machine. It's much more obvious when coming out of certain branches of the military (*ahem* Marines *cough*). You are taught to KILL not when YOU want to, but when they TELL you to. Also there is a bigger incidence of domestic violence in military personnel....now before some people get their panties in a bunch - I didn't say ALL military personnel are wife beaters, there is just a bigger OCCURANCE of domestic violence with veterans and military personnel.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to join the military at this point in time...unless you actually wanted to kill people and you enjoyed it. Chances are, if you go in, you won't be out for awhile...and you will go overseas. The gov't is getting pretty desperate and there's no sign of resolve over there. I have a friend that was a marine and he got hit by shrapnel (excuse the poor spelling)...now he can barely talk and has poor motor skills. He wrote me an email that described how he felt. He always wrote me: "Annie, I never signed on for this. I joined the military and swore to protect MY country, not someone elses. Iraq isn't a direct threat to us anymore and these people obviously don't want us here." (And, on a side note...he's not getting taken care of...the defense budget is getting lower...and soldiers aren't getting taken care of properly. Don't kid yourself about that, either.)

Do you really want to be a part of that? A false war. Chances are, the gov't is going to get real hard up, real soon for soldiers...and no matter what branch you're in...you're gonna see some kind of action. *meh* maybe it's a good thing...at least you'll get trained before you get drafted and just sent over there blindly.

I have to agree with another poster here...join the Peace Corps...do something meaningful with your life. Or the Red Cross or something...Christ...go out and spread love in the world...not hate.

9. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

annie, i just gained a new respect for you. thanks for writing that.

i only wish my best friend, john, knew that...

he used to be a cool kat.. going to all the northeast cities with me.... dancing... partying.. he was such a good dancer and and independent thinker. we did drugs together but that's not the point.

he is MIA. and he just had a bad home life- grew up in a bad place- didnt feel wanted by his family and needed money for college to get out of his situations. why it worth it?

i think not! he joined BEFORE the war, thinking it would be a free ride. dumb.

now is even more stupid and if you join.... i dont care. you are a capable human being (of thought, that is)

10. mynameiskc

i think it's crap, though. they may come out different, but they don't come out machines. i've many members of my family in the military who come out a bit more disciplined, but no less themselves. anyone who comes out an automaton was weak willed and weak minded to begin with.

11. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

Only marines have become automatons, in my experience..and not even all of them. some people were just tools waiting to be exploited anyway.

12. mynameiskc

exactly.

13. crummyrummy

Jim Jones found em, Manson found em, Koresh found em.

14. mynameiskc

yeah. just because someone no longer wants to sit around and get stoned and talk about the same boring shit they used to doesn't mean they're automatons.

15. crummyrummy

I am not an automaton. I am a very free thinking individual that can when neccesary employ extrordinary amounts of discipline in circumstances I have no control over . I am a VERY proud member of the american armed forces. I am a squid, an aviation electonics technician, and a Navy sailor.

16. DancerAnnie

First of all...I didn't say EVERY branch was like that. I said that MARINES are. They are taught to be killing MACHINES...I have had many Marines tell me that that's what they are trained to do. KILL.

And as far as some of the older fellows on here or those of you who know people in the military in the past...these kids aren't fighting the same kind of war as we used to. So it's hard to compare each situation. All I know is we're sending our husbands, wives, children, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandkids over there to fight a war that isn't ours, fighting a war for greedy, rich white men who just want to control the entire world. And if he joins, he'll go too.

17. crummyrummy

they are fighting the same kind of war as vietnam, people smiling at you as they detonate suicide bombs and kill your best friend dont kid yourself youngun, this war is un winnable, but you havent a clue. Just like in the "60's" people not there watch it on tv and judge with no actual informaton. Dancerannie, I always liked you, but right now you sicken me.

18. DancerAnnie

Make sure you find the toilet when you get sick...because this IS my opinion. If you're going to dislike me because of one opinion I have, wow...that's rough man. *laughs* I don't think I've ever really disliked someone based on just one opinion.

So sue me if I believe that the rich white man should fight his own goddamn war if he wants it! *laughs*

19. crummyrummy

I dont dislike you, I disagree with you. to date all US troops dead or living in this war were volunteers. even the reservists that thought the oaths they swore meant nothing. watch what you swear to, someday you may be called to act upon it.

20. crummyrummy

The day a draft gets enacted, my opinion will change.