i'm looking to move to alaska..any suggestions on wheres cool

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by miller, Oct 12, 2005.

1. miller

miller Banned

i am looking into moving to alaska does anyone have a suggestions that are from there as where to relocate to?

2. valleytravelin

valleytravelin Member

Hey, I hear that Talkeetna is really great! It is about 150 miles north of anchorage, at the base of denali. I hear there are alot of interesting folks there. My husband and I bought a bus that we converted to an rv. We are headed for Alaska in the spring, we're really excited about it!

Sarah
    sarahlahay@hotmail.com

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Skagway is a really hip town and Homer is super laid back.

4. miller

miller Banned

cool..thanks..btw i like your jrr tolkien quote....i am a big tolkien fan

5. DancerAnnie

Yay! I love Hobbits!

6. miller

miller Banned

that makes two of us....i would be a hobbit if i wasnt 6'3.....lol

7. pansy

pansy Member

8. miller

miller Banned

let me elaborate on what i am looking for.....a small town that is hippy friendly and maybe some friends to show me around....i need a change from the place i am in....any help relocating would be appretiated...i plan on moving sometime after the begining of next year

9. DancerAnnie

Do you have hairy feet? If you do, then maybe you are just half hobbit LOL

10. miller

miller Banned

half hobbit better than no hobbit....lol

11. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Brutal winter nothing. Thanks to GLOBAL WARMING you can skinny dip there year round.

12. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

relocate to canada!

13. prismatism

prismatism loves you

wow, i didn't know so many people knew about talkeetna. it's where i live. where i am right now :). the winters are really harsh but if you like winter you'll love it, it's beautiful. as long as you have somewhere warm to stay and something to do. and the summers here are AMAZING. it's half crazy tourists, half crazy hippies. there are a few crazy rednecks, but they'll stay out of your face and either accept you or ignore you. if you come up here, look for me! i'm the girl with the rainbow hair hanging out in the park :).

14. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

It's my understanding that Alaska is more than "cool" - it's f*cking ICE COLD.

15. prismatism

prismatism loves you

not in the summer :) in the summer it's perfect!

16. miller

miller Banned

well i have decided that come end of may i am making my way to cali and working my way up the coast eventualy to alaska...havnt decided where to go yet but at the end of this trip i am gonna stay where i end up...all i know is somewhere in alaska...i dont know anyone...but pretty much everyone where i am at i would rather not know...lol....i am gonna check out the places that you all have suggested...any other info on alaska would be awsome....and it would be cool to make some friends before i get there

17. Creek

Creek Apple Pie

Homer Sounds EXACTLY What You're Looking For, Friend....Was There Last Summer, And It Truly Is Great : ) Good Luck And Happy Trails : )))

18. ~silent~serenity~

~silent~serenity~ Member

hey there...I'm from fairbanks. Deffinatley hippy friendly! Homer is a tough town to get started in, although it is truely beautifull, the economy leaves much to be desired. I know alot of folks from PA here in town. Juneau is also a nice town. Abit pricey though. As far as housing go's.

19. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Really? Do ya know what the Work situations is like? Are ther jobs?
    Ya know what? I'll just check on the web. But it sounds groovy.

20. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Skagway is a tourist town with a winter population of about 500 or so. Work can be found there in summer, but to keep employed in the winter is a challenge. Homer has fish processing industries but housing costs are outrageous, or at least last time I checked. I'm all about Fairbanks where there is cheap land not too far out of town and plenty of jobs. The Fairbanks area also has tons of rental cabins for less that $400 a month if you don't mind crapping in an outhouse and hauling your water when it's 40 below.

It's colder than ice here in the interior. That's OK the temperatures keep out the wimps and wannabe's.
    [​IMG]