I'm Looking For a Good Veggie Soup Recipe

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Dakota's Mom, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I have some organic potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, swiss chard, and onions. I'm looking for a good veggie soup recipe that uses these ingredients and any others that I need to buy. I know I can just cook them all up together, but I never get the seasoning right. Please help.

Kathi

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, green beans, swiss chard, and onions.

OK, lets see... potatoes, carrots and onions in the pot first, even better with carmelized onions (say half) tomatoes through the blender to make thick juice (disclaimer- I force myself to eat tomatoes) add some water, up to half as much as the tomato pulp to thin it.
    Simmer with a couple bay leaves add toasted cumin, black pepper, five spice, cayeene, garam masala, celery leaves, whatever, add green beans half way through (the base could simmer all day) and chard about 15 min before serving.
    add lentils in stage one for more protein.

3. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Okay so what are: five spice, and garam masala. I know I don't have them. The other stuff I have.

Kathi

4. drumminmama

Chinese Five Spice? I get mine at Whole foods.
    Garam masala is (obviously) a masala , which is an indian spice blend.
    google has zillions of recipies I made mine a couple years ago...eww... I just realized how old mine is..must make more

5. drumminmama

From Duncan:
    Spice
    Someone here wrote about wanting a soup recipe and then there was mention about spices. I buy mine online at http://www.penzeys.com
    The quality is very high and I have never been disappointed.