I'm happier being single.

Discussion in 'True Confessions' started by knotdirty, May 28, 2007.

1. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

But there's a huge pressure from everybody to be in a relationship. I'm going to be true to myself and not get into one, because I don't want one.
    People tell me all the time that I'm so opposed to being in a relationship that I'm going to miss being with the person I'm supposed to be with. I'm not worried about that.

Sometimes it's frustrating. All of my friends are in relationships, my parents keep asking if I'm a lesbian (just because I don't want a boyfriend..), my guy friends get a little touchy/clingy sometimes because I'm the only single girl in the group, therefore the only one they can hit on safely. My supervisor/main coworker, somebody I have to spend 7 hours with 4 days a week, kept on hinting that he wanted to go out, asked me out a few times, now it's uncomfortable working there. And he's uncomfortable because it's obvious that I'm uncomfortable.

And it's like the more I don't want to be looked at that way, the more guys hit on me. It's like I put out a vibe or something. Complete strangers, friends, coworkers...I've taken to wearing a ring on my left hand.

don't get me wrong, it's not like I think I'm oh-so-sexy and irresistable. Most guys (some girls) will hit on anything with a vagina who doesn't have a boyfriend hanging around. To be female is to have this problem.

Why is there such pressure in our society to be part of a couple? I don't get it.

2. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

I feel almost exactly as you do. I haven't been in a relationship in over a year now. I don't want to be in one. In fact, I have no desire whatsoever. I just feel like at this time in my life, I need to work on my life by myself. I find it funny that most people assume that single people only say they are happy being single when they are single. (did that make sense?) I really am content being single. I think too many people rely on being in a relationship to make themselves feel complete/happy, which can, in return, totally backfire.

3. praying4peace

praying4peace Member

i love being single too. its surprising how many people you meet when your single. itas great

4. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

Oo, do you ever get friends trying to set you up with people?

That's the worst...amusing, though. I have one friend who's always trying to be the matchmaker, and when she's trying to set me up there's this look on her face and tone in her voice that says she thinks she's doing me this huge favor.

Another one.."Honey, we have to get you a man!"

It's crazy, but true...singleness is treated like sickness which must be treated STAT!

5. Riggs

Riggs Banned

I can't answer that one, love. You are right, though. People do think if you don't have a bf or husband that something is wrong with you. Look at it this way.. most of the people that say this are not happy in their relationships. You know what they say, don't you, doll? Misery loves company. Don't do anything that you don't want to do, or not ready for just to please others, or to fit in, baby.

6. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

What's worse than a friend is your mom or aunt. Yeah, like that will ever happen lol.

7. PoisonedPenny

PoisonedPenny Member

I just recently landed myself a guy, but before that there was about 4-5 months where I was single. It was actually pretty nice to do everything on my schedule, see my friends every single night etc. But, I dealt with the same things you guys mention. People trying to set me up, crazy people thinking that I'd rather be with a crazy than be single. The worst was when my friend's husband got really drunk and started propositioning me. My friend started crying and I got pulled aside and told "you need to get yourself a man so this kind of thing doesn't happen!" I was flabbergasted. I mean, here's this asshole who thinks he can get up on the person who threw his wife's birthday party and the whole thing is my fault?! I even queried around and was like "Is it a problem that I'm single? Should I not be around if I am?" And people actually told me yes! To both questions! I just couldn't believe it.

8. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

I think its coolest being single and nobody else to worry about.
    relationships are realy full tiem work and no reward at all
    that sucks!

bing single is being free and having a good time for yourself with yourslef and no possibility of getting disappointed nor hurted in the horisont.

Thats perfect!

yes its damn irritating to be hint at all the time.. and girls have a bigger problem than guys have. It is so dead sick those who think soemthing is wrong about you just because you are single.
    If i ever go with someone it will have to be a guy who is far superior to me in many aspects, or i wont stand being with him longer than 5 minutes!

9. J.I.

J.I. WithYouInMyThoughts

I cant keep my interest in someone longer than 10 minutes..which really sometimes sucks
    so i might as well be single for now

10. Riggs

Riggs Banned

Well, I guess flirting is out. LOL

11. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

I think a Man is more likely to be single than a Woman.Women are under a lot of pressure from Men all the time to go out with them.They only have to say one word:"yes" & the Man does all the rest.
    Men get the occasional smile from a lady or a giggle but never more than that,unless they make the appropriate moves.
    I am currently single & don't mind it really because unlike a lot of people I am comfortable & content with my own company.By that I mean I feel complete in myself.

12. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

Damn right baby! :jester: :nopity:

13. Riggs

Riggs Banned

You too, right, baby?

14. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

from previous post: <<Well, I guess flirting is out. LOL>>
    <<You too, right, baby?>>

NO. the right one will have to show he is worth me!

so show me your worth baby!

15. Riggs

Riggs Banned

Na, I'm not worth it.

16. Lorna

Lorna The Magician

This is very definitly true!

17. charmcityhippie

charmcityhippie Member

i'm single but i'm fairly apathetic towards that fact. i'm not out trying to snare a mate, but if a guy or girl comes along that i connect with, i'm totally open to it.

18. sanja_serbia

sanja_serbia Senior Member

Yeah, I tried to be with guys who I don't like very much just to be in relationship (because of all those "get a guy" stories), but I ended it after one-night-stands or, in the best situation, 2 weeks....It's not like I'm waiting for the prince charming, but I'm not lowering my standards anymore and I'll wait for the guy who gives me butterflies and stuff....:) And until that guy comes...I'm happy and satisfied :))

19. Riggs

Riggs Banned

I see that you have a good head on your shoulders. You're young, so what is the rush?

20. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I love being single. I haven't really been single for more than a month since I was 18. I have been single for three months and LOVING it! I love how I can go out with my friends without having to "check in" or tell someone where I am or where I am going. I love flirting and hanging out with whichever guy or gal I want.

I can go anywhere and do anything...and I feel on top of the world.