I'm giving up bread

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by NatureDude, Jan 29, 2013.

1. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I'm becoming more and more anti-bread lately because of health reasons and perhaps I should also give up milk as well because it's pasteurised and the calcium is there but can't be taken by the body and also its unnatural for us to be continuing to consume milk into adult life so almond milk shall be my alternative to milk, it's good for calcium but yoghurt I still like although its still dairy, if you could suggest an alternative to yoghurt that would be great.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Dairy is nasty. You could try goats milk, it isn't as nearly messed around with like normal milks but you'll have to find the right brand. The brand I get is a long life brand but it's not homogenized or pasteurized or anything like that.

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Everyone can benefit from eliminating bread from their diet. It creates spikes in blood sugar, which thus makes you gain and retain fat. Not to mention the fact that most breads are made with refined, processed grains which contain all sorts of nasty gluten and other things that reek havoc with the body. If a person wants fiber in their diet, stick to chia and flaxseed. Other than having fiber, much touted whole grains contain little nutritional value. In fact they contain many anti-nutrients called phytates, which deplete the body of vital nutrients like zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium.

4. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I've been off bread for ages, now I don't know what bread is anymore.

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So who else misread the thread title and had to do a double take, own up.

No, just me, ok then

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

7. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

What is the best alternative?

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Well, from a paleo perspective, you could make bread with almond meal or coconut flour, but I myself have gotten away from bread and found that the longer I stay away from it, the less I crave it. You can also make wraps with lettuce, or cooked cabbage leaves to hold the sandwich material in place if you're making a sandwich. Sometimes I will eat a burger and use the tops of two Portobello mushrooms as buns. There are all kinds of alternatives you could try.

9. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

How about Essene bread made for sprouted wheat grains? I believe there are fewer problems with gluten intolerance when done as such and the recipe has existed for eons.There is a recipe on the Mother Earth News website . For a long time I have seen bread as a substrate for eating more butter.

As for a milk substitute I find coconut cream works quite well in cooking and a reasonably natural product even if I am getting it out of a can. If I am making a cake and the recipe calls for 2 or 3 tablespoonful’s of milk, substituting liquid tea works quite well.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

so have you noticed a difference?

11. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

Well I tend to feel more energetic and happier. I eat more fruits vegetables and nuts to makeup for it. What a healthy way to get those much needed vitamins and minerals.

12. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

I think it depends whom you ask. I listen to Ray Peat a lot and he loves dairy lol

As for wheat... yeah I don't really trust the gluten either. I do eat it a bit though because it tastes good lol

Lowering wheat consumption at the very least should help. If you think you have significant wheat/gluten issues then yeah dropping it is probably best.

13. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I have no wheat/gluten issues. I believe in the paleo diet where wheat, grains, processed foods and dairy are excluded from the eating plan. So in a nutshell you eat foods closest to their natural state as possible which also means exclusion of grain fed beef if possible. I also exercise which I see as also being a part of the paleo lifestyle, its not natural to be sedentary.

14. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

Paleo is pretty cool yeah :)

I like it, but I'm too lazy for it hehe

But I like the principle. However, I believe carbs to be a more healthful fuel source than fat. Other than that, I agree with their basic approach.

Ray Peat is really cool though, I follow his stuff most of all :)

15. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

Well you don't need bread for carbs there are other sources such as potato, sweet potato and even taro.