I'm freaked out if I may have contracted hiv from a kids cut

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lynsey, Jan 28, 2005.

1. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I have been stressing about this all week. I bandaged a kids hand without gloves and I had a fairly unbanged cut on my finger. I have reason to believe that this child may be hiv positive because of the date of an organ transplant. If the child is positive what's my risk?

2. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Well stressing about it doesn't solve anything. If you think there may be even the slightest risk, you need to get tested. There should be no excuses not to.

3. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

first you would need to find out if the child is hiv positive....and even then the chances are extremely low ......go talk with a doc

4. lynsey

lynsey Banned

It's against ada for me to directly ask the parents. he got a transplant in the hospital during the same year at the same hospital a lot of people contracted hiv because of infected blood. I will go to the doc on tuesday I am just scared to death. Ya know I've only had sex in commited relationships, I'm monagomous it doesn't seem fair that just because I forgot to put gloves on that I have to worry about this. I'm a good girl damn it!

5. t-dub

t-dub Pass me the pepper

well if you're going in on tuesday, just try to enjoy your weekend... you cant do anything about it at the moment.. drink some hott tea.. maybe take a bubble bath... just do anything to keep your mind off of it lynsey. *huggs*

6. lynsey

lynsey Banned

thanks:) I know the chances are way slim and I didn't have time to find gloves-the kid was bleeding on other kids and knowing what I know morally I couldn't have anyone else deal with it. I still feel pretty damn stupid though.

7. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Its WAY too soon to get tested, though! If you really suspect there may be a chance, call your doctor, ASAP, and be put on a prophylaxis regimen of HIV drugs, while you do more investigation. The drugs need to be started ASAP!!!!

This is too important to risk it, don't wait until tuesday to talk to your doctor! Page him/her!

8. lynsey

lynsey Banned

there were simply more cases of organ transplantation hiv contraction cases in that hospital in 1994 than any other hospitals and I worked with a kid before who contracted hiv from a kidney transplant performed at that hospital. The reality of it is that it is very unlikely that this kid has hiv (even with the increased rates at the hospital) and if there was the slight chance that he had it it would also be unlikely that I would contract it. More risky than another kid ya know? I am still going to get tested on tuesday though and than in a few months. They need to come out with a vaccine for it I had a hepatitis c vaccine and I know that if I didn't I would have contracted it at work by now.

9. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

obviously, its up to you, but I would ask for a script for Combivir, 1 twice a day, for 1 month, prophylaxis. IMO, it is too important to risk...

10. Moonjava

Moonjava Senior Member

If you're scared to talk to a doctor, they have home tests available at http://www.homeaccess.com that are 99% accurate and FDA approved. I read that in a magazine, and thought it would be useful if I ever wanted to get tested b/c I know I'd be horrified to go to a clinic. I'd probably freak out and faint or something! But don't stress too much. You're probably just paranoid. Wait a few months b/c it will take 6 weeks to 6 months to show up in your blood stream. Most people can tell in 3 months, so buy 2 tests if possible. The tests are more affordable than you might think.

<3 mj

11. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

Ya know, I'm sorry but this is one of the things I feel shouldn't be covered by the ADA, if someone has HIV or AIDS others need to know, dammit. Most other diseases, fine, hide it, it won't affect others, but HIV/AIDS is too deadly of a disease to keep hush hush about it for the sake of "not offending" people. I'm protected under the ADA for a lot of things myself as I have a disability, so I think the ADA is a good thing, but keeping mum about HIV or AIDS is going too far in my opinion, for the very reasons this thread was started. It's wrong that you should have to worry about if you are going to get sick or not simply becuase it might offend someone if you ask if they have HIV or AIDS!!

I'm sorry you have to go through this, not only is it a scary thing but it's totally unfair and not right that you can't just ask if he does have it or not.

12. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

During high school I had open-heart surgery & had to receive a blood transfusion...this was in 1981. In 1986 or 1987, I had my first HIV test which came back negative. I had my second HIV test in Jan 2002, 1 or 2 weeks after a guy from a past relationship found out he was HIV positive. I have had about 5 tests done since then and I'm fine.