I'm ashamed of all of you

Discussion in 'Alternative and Indie Music' started by Skin Is My!, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Skin Is  My!

Skin Is My! Member

The indie scene tends to stray away from the mainstream and the norm. But, man, I can't help but feel embarrassed by my music sometimes, and I wonder if other people on this board feel the same way?

I don't have all that many friends who are into the underground scene. Uhh, you know, friends who like Lincoln Park or...People who just listen to the radio, etc. I love my music, but I can't help but refrain from holding back and only putting on what might be a crowd pleaser. Haha, so nothing too experimental or sentimental folk music in front of people like that.

Has anyone ever had a problem dating anyone who either didn't like your music or listened to the complete opposite genre? I know that sounds--petty. I don't know how passionate people are about their music here--But have any of you ever thought you could never date someone who liked--say, Hilary Duff's music? (Haha, don't laugh, it happened to me.)

The girls I've been with had pretty good taste in music...And I can definitely say I put music on while...You know....

Wow, I've strayed. But the point is, do you guys feel ashamed of some of the music you like around friends (Especially when they have that look like I've heard worse.) What do you guys do about it? I know I can't be the only one here

2. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

I've got some friends who are into the same music as I, but most of them don't even know a big part of the music I listen to. I don't feel ashamed about liking something else than they do, but it can be quite annoying, especially since I'm a person who really loves to talk about music. Something that bothers me more, is the fact that music seems way more important to me than to most of my friends. I can act really enthusiast when I'm talking about music I really love, and sometimes they're watching me like 'okay, it's just music, you know'. That can be quite embarassing. But ah well, I don't really mind. And my best friend is such a music freak like me, so that's kind of a compensation. :D

3. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

im the type of person who would most likely decide weither or not i would like a girl cause of her music taste :p seems kind of shallow, but man...i sure as hell am not gonna date someone who is obbsessed with 50 cent or N'Sync...odds are are that i wouldnt like the girl in the first place if they liked that kind of music anyways, so its not that big of a deal :p

i dont think im ashamed of what i listen to. most people dont know what i listen to, and if i try to explain it to them or have them even listen, they usually dont understand. its not a big deal to me though...although it is bothersome. when i find someone who has a pretty good music taste close to mine, i like to talk a good amount about it, cause there is sooooo much about my music that i know! and its just all built up inside of me, gotta get it out one way or another :p my problem is just trying to describe music...i am terrible at that. i hate to say "oh its psychedelic" or "its kind of a weird blend of folk, rock, jazz, etc..."...i'd rather just have the music speak for itself :D

4. Zepp

Zepp Member

ya its wierd. you try to introduce people to stuff like doors, or space rock (early pink floyd) and htey give u a funny look

5. Skin Is  My!

Skin Is My! Member

Oh, man, I can definitely go on about music when I first meet a person. I love talking about it in general. Sometimes you're pulled down to reality when you're excited to tell someone you bought something and they're kinda "Uhh. Good for you."

And I feel the same way as you. When I meet a girl with good taste in music it makes her so much sexier to me. It's strange, but nice that I have something that important to me

6. Politics are awesome

Politics are awesome Politics suck

I don't really get ashamed... I'm the type of person who can't really be friends with a person unless they have an awesome (by my standards) taste in music. Shallow, but I don't give a fuck. :D

7. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

Many of my friends don't like my music. But at the same time, sometimes I'll introduce them to a band that they do like.

I've never been ashamed of my music taste. If my friends don't like it it's not a big deal.

8. Guest123

Guest123 Member

I make it a point to have friends of all walks of life, I guess I just like to learn from people. In my group, I'm the music guy. I like that. Granted, my closest friends will probably always be musically inclined, I prefer to surround myself with people who know alot about things I know very little about. However when it comes to romantic compatibility, musical tolerance is all I ask for. As long as she is open-minded, but music just isn't the avenue she chose to explore, that's fine. Granted having a Pitchfork-reading girlfriend would be cool too. Basically as long as she's not a Sex And The City worshipping, lip gloss disciple, it'll work.

9. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

i don't feel ashamed about my music taste and i can respect i whole lot of music, that ain't a problem to me. but i would feel ashamed if i listened to common popular music. i can't stand most of it. it definately has an impact on who a hang around with.

mabey i just like people with a weird music taste...

10. AriLew

AriLew Member

we both loved Fiona Apple but he also loved techno....ouch.