Im a vegan and I sometimes crave eggs

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Fingermouse, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Heres my kind of confession:p No really, Im after some advice

Ive been veg for 8 years and vegan for 3. I love being vegan. I love the food variety, I cook lots, Ive done quite a bit of research about nutrition. Ive never had a single problem with wanting any kind of animal product...until a few weeks ago...

I began thinking about eggs. Basically this craving comes and goes about once a week or so, but sometimes its pretty strong. Sometimes I now miss eggs and think about finding a local free range farmer

Why has this cropped up now? What would you advise as vegans and veggies?

Im highly doubting I actually need an egg. Its been 3 years since last touched one and Ive been absolutely fine. But somethings obviously changed

I dont even think I could actually eat one. A massive part of my mind sees them as gross now and not really food. Its a conflict thing

Thanx:)

2. addictedt0chaos

addictedt0chaos Lunar Dreadlocks

I sure this will pass. It's natural to crave things you "can't" have. Just be strong!

3. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

It's all in your head. Really.

I gave up eggs a year after I became a vegetarian. Never looked back. 26+ years ago.

I never had that much of an attraction to eggs, but I did enjoy a scrambled egg sandwich from time to time. On toasted bread. With mayo and salt and pepper.

I've found that macaroni and cheese works amazingly well to fill that void.

You need to ask what it is about eggs that attracts you.

x

4. marysoul

marysoul Member

I love eggs, i do not love eating them

5. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Thats exactly it, they dont attract me. Ive gone 3 years without giving them a second thought. They dont even seem like food to me...theyre gooey and gross and come out of chickens backsides. But my body says I need them. I keep having thoughts about eating boiled ones...I really dont think its because I want to, but more like theres a better reason, you know? Ive had "want" cravings before and this is different. In truth half of me is absolutely repulsed, but something deeper says I should eat one
    :confused:

6. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Thanx. Im not sure its just that though. 3 years I havent wanted eggs. The forbidden food thing was never a biggie to me, I just went with it, Im kind of strong willed like that. Its a mystery

7. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

I dont eat cheese and the yeast in the vegan versions brings me out in a rash:(

8. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I'm afraid I'm not a lot of help... I keep craving (hard boiled) eggs too! And not even Drumminmama's quote about eggs (can't seem to find it at the moment, but it was GROSS!) seems to help.

Do you think it could be the protein boost we're craving? I've tried everything I can think of with high protein, but haven't found anything that quite "fixes" the craving yet.
    love,
    mom

9. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Try eating apples and almonds. I heard this curbs any type of cravings and people losing/maintaining weigh use it.

10. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I can't even recall what hsm means, but I discovered a "secret weapon."
    I loved hard boiled and scrambled, and as an early veg at home all those years ago, eggs were what my mom saw at a decent compromise.
    the new secret weapon? black salt/ kala namak.
    it's a less refined mineral salt that is sulfur-ish and hits that flavor of boiled eggs.
    Use it in scrambled tofu or mock egg salad.
    an online source, if you have no Indian markets nearby:
    http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=206
    four ounces will last a LONG LONG time.

if it's runny you want, I'm sorry, but I never liked that part.

11. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

yes i crave eggs, i cook them for my daughter and boyf and the craving has never gone.
    I would never eat one and I do find them strange but I dunno I sometimes just want one?
    But on the other hand best substitute is

tofu mashed with soy sauce fried and add tumeric and vegan yeast flakes on toast is good instead of scrambled egg.