Iguana enclosure, need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by peacelove&music, Aug 24, 2018.

1. peacelove&music

peacelove&music Member

Hey! So I have a really really reallyyyy large iguana. He is almost 6 ft long and probably about 5in in diameter around his belly. I recently had a custom enclosure built for him that is 4ft x 4ft x8ft tall. Its HUGE. Like its bigger than my walk in closet. Anyway, Im really having trouble trying to figure out how to do the inside. Right now i just have levels of wood and little ladders make out of wood to get from level to level (although he never uses them because hes so big he can just reach up to the next level and pull himself up haha). I really wanted to do a natural interior like with plants (still doing research on different types of plants and trees that are safe to use around iguanas) and i wanted like a big branch to go from the bottom to probably 75% of the height of the cage. I pictured around 7 ft long and i can lean it against one bottom corner going up diagonally to another edge and then have the upper layer stay how i have it so he has a place to bask. But that branch would have to be at least 1 ft in diameter by about 7 ft long. Where the fuck am I going to find such a branch?! Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks!! ❤

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

jesus, that's a massive lizard! your gigantic enclosure still sounds cramped for him.

i can think of two options for the branch off the top of my head. first option is to just go out into the woods and find one. you can spend a ton of time and just look for something that fits, or you can spend a little less time and bring a saw, either cutting a fallen branch down to the appropriate size, or taking one straight off a tree.

the other option would be to go buy a 2 x 12, or some such piece of lumber, and cutting it to about 7 feet long. you could wrap smaller branches around it for some degree of realism, but ultimately this is probably the less work/less reward option.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

no such iguanas can grow to those lengths .