If you're not a religious Jew, you're not a Jew

Discussion in 'Judaism' started by xexon, Mar 17, 2009.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Paul is referencing some outcomes of the ingrained quest of learning.
    He certainly does not speak for the People.

Do you know the joke about two Jews on a desert island?
    The rescue ship comes and the men show the synagogues they have built.
    The rescuers are bemused.
    "Can you explain why you built three?" The captain asked.
    "Yes. I worship here, he worships there, and no one goes to that synagogue."

Shorthand: two Jews, three opinions.

Culturally, as assimilation has boys in public school, not yeshiva, the cultural drive of success is Learning (originally understood as learning Torah/Talmud), has transmuted to pushing your kids to excel in other ways. Grades and professions are still the gold standard.
    To some people that is the definition of success, and therefore cleverness, or being smart.

2. FranklinS

FranklinS Member

Before I get banned (which should be soon), I want to post to this thread. I fully agree with xexon except for this:

In fact it is the other way around. The Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) is not at all racist. All of Judaism's racism comes from the Talmud. Moses married non-Jews. Ruth was Moabite who converted fairly easily and joined the Israelites in spite of the fact that the Torah says that no descendant of a Moabite is allowed in the Temple. Ruth's descendants include King David, King Solomon, and Jesus. The point is that the Bible didn't mean strictly genetic descendants, but actually meant cultural descendants. When Ruth converted, she ceased being a Moabite. The Bible is based on cultural groups, not ethnic groups.

3. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

You go into the temple and subdue yourself. The war-mongers shall triumph, because the peace is only a word for today.

4. JKHolman

JKHolman Member

Xenon,
    how long have you been antisemitic. This is not a yes or no question. Just tell us how long you have been this way. 'read your other posts and it is quite obvious.

- JKHolman

5. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

xenon --- Outlandish statement from the beginning, but I see where you're coming from... tying it to the ethno-state of Israel, etc...

I think it's what my therapist calls a 'both/and' situation. You can be proud of your Jewish culture, and yes- being a Jew is an ethnicity. Believe me. I scream at my IBS and Jew-fro on the daily- it doesn't go away.

However, weaponizing your ethnic pride against the Palestinian people is a big no-no, and I totally agree with you there.