If you think you are free

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Joshua Van, Mar 4, 2020.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

That's true. I never obeyed their speed limit. I was in a hurray to get to the truck stop at Federal Way or to Troutdale or to Jubitz.

2. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Was that you that passed me like a bat out of hell at exit 88 on I 5?!

stormountainman likes this.
  3. stormountainman

That was me, with the two stick transmission truck!

granite45 likes this.
  4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Montana is also where the rich register their fancy cars to save on tax. One thing I agree with in Republican states is they are tolerant to speed. Maybe because less people live there. Current speed limits are from when cars had drum breaks and could not handle.

Joshua Van likes this.
  5. stormountainman

I agree in part only. I like nice well made fast cars, and also slow ones. If you have four wheel disc brakes and bad pads, and grooved damaged rotors, you will have problems too. If the road is covered with ice, well … over confidence could be a problem. I drove semi trucks for 36 years and saw more than my share of stupid drivers and terrible accidents. Today, I can say I drive slower than other people. I tend to stay under 70 mph, to save fuel. At 64 mph I'm not holding anyone up and getting good fuel consumption. I let people pass me and usually just watch "the pack" of tailgaters get far ahead of me.

WritersPanic and unfocusedanakin like this.
  6. Same here. I don't prefer to have a pack surrounding me. And around Atlanta that can happen a lot. Then we have the guys driving trucks with ladder racks as if they were James Bond at a slalom. And that's even when I'm 5 or 10 over the limit. What I don't do is slow down to annoy people. After all, that too is road rage!

erofant and stormountainman like this.
  7. stormountainman

Yes, road rage is equal to using the damn car as a weapon! Atlanta is not as bad as Dallas. In that place they shoot from car to car. Here in Indiana last year we had two groups of gangsters shooting at each other and drove right into the parking lot of the ZOO to continue the gun battle.

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Just to expound a bit more, in Australia Sydney and Brisbane used to have trams. Melbourne still has. IN the 1950s when they disappeared, Henry Bolte who was the Premier of Victoria wanted to do away with trams but it was not up to him. It was up to a Commissioner who was in favour of trams. Brisbane and Sydney ended up regretting their decision.

stormountainman likes this.
  9. stormountainman

Thank you for the public transportation coverage. I think there is a place for public transportation in many metropolitan areas. In Colorado there is an effort to provide such a system from Pueblo to Fort Collins, along the front range for about 200 miles. It would allow people who can't afford a car, insurance, and gasoline a way to move about. The main resistance to public transportation in America has come from Trump's low and undereducated base. They are mostly an agricultural type who have a preference for driving huge diesel pickup trucks which pollute heavily. Most of the time they haul little or nothing in the bed of their truck, maybe empty beer cans, maybe chewing tobacco cans. They also spit their chaw out the window. When you meet them they say they have a right to drive their trucks and carry their guns. They will not debate the issue. They demand that you accept their irrational right to pollute. I always notice they have strong body odor, for lack of bathing. Often they have rotten teeth from meth use. The United States should revoke their right to drive or vote, because they don't understand freedom or respect the freedom of others.

erofant and granite45 like this.
  10. erofant

erofant Members

^^^^ Boy, that describes a lot of his base. Rotten teeth from chewing too. U-G-L-Y breath.

I like to drive, but I'd love to ride on a train (on new, safe tracks, or a mag-lev) between cities or across the country. If I could put my feet up and ride while drinking a coffee & reading some news on an I-pad or similar - that would be nice. I drove all over for years in my career - kinda tired of it at times. Sick of idiot drivers too. They don't yield on entrance ramps, don't use turn signals, drive almost into your trunk or pick-up bed, drive while texting, playing games on "smart phones." How smart are you to do those things while driving??

How much oil/fuel/pollution could we save by GOOD, SAFE mass transit in the U.S.??? Less highway congestion?? Think of the hundreds of millions of gallons of gas that are wasted each year by drivers just sitting in stopped traffic, or in slow traffic jams - and the resulting pollution - from not moving!!!

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if you think you are free, try building a house or driving a car without indenturing yourself.

Joshua Van likes this.