If You Don't Sin...

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Jimbee68, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

"If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing."

So goes a meme I recently saw (I forget exactly where--sorry). But it brings up an interesting, and perhaps little known point. Protestants believe in justification by faith and faith alone. That basically means as long as you have faith, you can sin all you want. Don't get angry at me. That's basically what it means. There's even a name for it. Antinomianism.

But I was brought up Catholic. And Catholics believe salvation comes from merit, which is what I think most Americans (Protestants and Catholics) believe in their heart of hearts anyways.

I have heard some people claim that this controversy doesn't exist anymore. But as far as I know it must, because neither faith has ever changed its doctrine (esp. the RC church, which supposedly never changes).

:)

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  2. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

To be fair, Catholicism isn't just about merit.
    It's also about admitting your every sin to a human who says they are a conduit for their version of God.
    Then the human tells you what to do to absolve yourself of sin... like saying some words a bunch of times.

Either way though... your original point is a really interesting angle!

3. What a shameful thing to say. To just greedily commit sacrilege over a man's whole life. Makes me want to puke.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are so many things wrong with christianity (along with a handful of things that are mostly good about it to, not saying they don't exist also),
    this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

but for me, what is interesting, is that the only link between those things and any god, are the claims made by its own book,
    which i'm sorry, but was written, not by gods or a god, but by mortal humans beings,
    most of whom i believe had good intentions, but for the most part, had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

5. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

That is why Judge Roy Moore is so good for Alabama! He has so much faith in his heart that he is able to freely date and have sex with High School girls!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"Pagans keep Faith true to the Olde Gods" - though do recognise the new ones - if they have merit

7. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

This reminds me of how one day I horrifyingly thought to myself... "Trump and his admin are probably beautiful music to the ears of Cthulhu and the rest of the Elder Gods".
    Which then made me realize... the Elder Gods are not as cool as I used to think they were.

:D