If you didn't have a cleaning lady....

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

.... would you rather live in a big house or in a small house?

2. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

No cleaner would mean I'd prefer a smaller house.

Shopping, cleaning, gardening I can't understand how anyone could want to do that themselves.

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I like shopping,cleaning and gardening.Cleaning is just like being your own interior designer.Plus I'm weird so I'd hate to have some random cleaner going through my stuff.

4. IamnotaMan

I like shopping for stuff, like clothes etc. But I could never go shopping for food, anything like that.

I don't like nosiness either. You could put your confidential stuff in one room, tell the cleaner there is a jaguar/ bad tempered axe-maniac asleep in there, something like that.

Anything like a "chore" I'd get bored out of my mind within 60 seconds, and leave it.

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Small house, for sure.

Can you imagine living in a place big enough to require a full-time staff? It would never feel like home to me. I would hate having to get dressed just to walk to the kitchen late at night, just in case I ran into an employee. I wouldn't live in Biltmore House if I had a trillion dollars! http://www.biltmore.com

And you know if you had a few drinks too many one night, the staff would be whispering to each other about it the next day. When I come home, I want to close the door and lock the rest of the world out! It's nobody else's business what I do at home!

Yeah, I don't want to turn a stranger loose in my house at all.

I also don't want somebody else deciding what I eat. Making trade-offs between health implications, taste, cost, brand reputation, and expiration dates, there are a thousand judgment calls to be made in the grocery store. I can't imagine explaining my whole thought process to somebody who really doesn't give a shit, and expecting them to follow it. And I couldn't stay in touch with what the grocery store offers if I didn't go through it regularly.

As for the yard, it isn't too expensive to have a lawn service do that, and then you don't have to purchase, maintain, and store all the equipment needed to do it right.

6. IamnotaMan

If you have a gigantic house, you end up having an "apartment" based around your bedroom - with a lounge, dining rm, kitchen etc.

People come to stay and never leave -especially relatives. And want to party every night. Or people who'll just want to suck up to you. When it is empty, the place'll feel really eerie and lonely. And you'll be wondering if the cooks are poisoning your food because they're jealous.

Soon you'll be going online to look for a "countryside retreat" for the weekend, something smaller like that. And spending the whole week there.

It reminds me of a parable of a Chinese guy, an American and a lake.

PS most massive houses are really old. And in old houses, I can kind of "feel dead people". Nightmares, shit like that...

7. acuarela

acuarela Member

I'd like a cleaning lady. I think I'd still prefer a small place, it's cozier.

I only wish I had a bigger place when I feel like having more than 2 people over, then my apartment feels very small. I'd like a tiny yard too.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

cleaning lady or no, i'd always go for a small house. big houses never feel that homely to me, a small one i can make my own.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't want a cleaning lady and the size of my hypothetical and perhaps future house is not the most important factor in choosing a house. So it would all depend on the house itself. I do have a clear preference for an older house. I'd rather customize a 100+ year old house than build a new one which I could perhaps also customize to my exact liking.

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I'd like a cleaning lady who does that and other things.

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You mean like gardening and stuff?

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

^^THIS^^

And for Matt......http://alittlebitdirty.com/

There was a local nude cleaning service like that, but the religious freaks got them shutdown.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

who the hell "has a cleaning lady"?
    anyone who can't wipe their own ass needs to see a pshrinque.

as for a house, a room for the trains, a room for the machine tools, and a room with a bed, bookshelves and a computer desk. with a little refrigerator in there and a mirowave on top of it. and a half bath with a crapper and a sink.

that's house enough for me. solar panels on the roof and a windmill in the back yard to power the computher, and some way to connect to the internet.

the only reason to have a bigger house then that, would be a palace of strangeness, to be like a shelter for all of your friends. provided they wipe their own ass and don't expect someone else to clean up after them.

now as for being strange, convoluted and maze like, yah, that would be good. let everybody add another room and bit of hallway to it. of course you'd have to do that where there weren't any building codes. which kind of eliminates most of the u.s.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm going for something like the 484,000 square foot, Windsor Castle, it takes up 13 acres and has 13,000 rooms.

[​IMG]

I figure I'd never need to clean, just move from one room to another, one floor to the next.
    Every ten years I'd add a couple floors or put in an extra rec room just to keep ahead of the junk.

Maybe I'd invite all of you over to diner, if you were nice to me.
    We'd just leave the dishes.

15. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

You were always my favorite person here.

16. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

We had a cleaning lady when I was growing up. Her name was Darlene and she lived down the street and came for an hour and a half once a week for $50. She'd dust, clean the floors and vaccum, and wash down the bathrooms. That's it. Both my parents worked full time and everyone had extra curricular activities out the wazoo. But in the summertime, she never came to work because us kids were home and we could do all that.

I want a normal house, not too big, not too small, just the size of Montreal.

17. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

When the kids were both little my then husband traveled all the time for work. He use to hire a cleaning person when he was going to be away and also a helper so I could have time to myself.

I use to clean before they came because I did not want them cleaning and I never used the helper as I was not comfortable doing that.

After about 4 times he finally stopped thinking it was helpful as it caused more stress.

Solved. :)

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i have no reason for a big house. i never really use more than one or two rooms anyway.

is that right? i always just go to the morgue when i feel that certain urge..

19. roamy

roamy Senior Member

i don't like houses

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'd just restructure, give the job a new title, "antibac team leader" or something and pay her less