If you could learn one language....

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Spacer, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

What would it be??

I can speak Irish, English, some German and a very small amount of Spanish (I only started learning it a few months back). I'd love to get fluent at German and improve my Spanish but one other language I'd really love to learn is Japanese, although whatever about learning how to speak it I'd say learning a whole new writing system would be a headfuck. Anyway there's nowhere near me to learn it so I may just concentrate on the others but I still think it'd be real cool to learn.

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I speak English, French, and can also speak some acadian, a bit of bahasa indonesia, and guinea, which is a lot like acadian...

3. rhasta.penguin

rhasta.penguin No more hippy...ugh

if it were possible for me to learn a language, i would learn japanese. I took two years of spanish, learned nothing, took two years of latin, really learning nothing...

4. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

french or hawaiian.

5. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I used to be able to speak Japanese quite fluently, but it's been years since I've spoken/studied the language... I could read and write the alphabet, but I didn't know any kanji :p

I'd really like to learn German... and Spanish. But I will most liekly start teaching myself German after I move. I won't have much else to do... :H

6. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

japanese. im good with the writing just not the speaking.....

7. goldmund

goldmund Member

I know it says one language, but, well, you know. Ok, here's the list in order of priority:
    1) German - because I live in Germany, and I suck because I can't speak the language :). Also very important for academics, esp. in Philosophy, Theology, etc.
    2) Amharic/Ge'ez - Ancient Ethiopic language (Ge'ez), semetic, with a sylabary that looks like east syriac/armenian. Almost french in the way words flow and roll off the tongue. Very beautiful.
    3) Touch up on Greek/Latin - took classes in college, now out of practice.
    4) Spanish - to flirt with the latina ladies. mmm.

8. soulrebel51

I also really really really want to learn French, the language of love. :)

:D

9. Spacer

Haha, yeah the Spanish would come in handy when trying it on with the Senoritas alright! It's great being able to speak other languages, everybody should learn to speak at least one language apart from their native one fluently.

10. Spacer

Where you moving to? Did you find out about your citizenship yet for Germany?

11. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

Francais. It's such a beautiful language. I took 4 years of it & loved it!

12. Spacer

You should take it up again, you'd be suprised how quick it would all come back to you if you took it up again! It's spoken in several countries in Europe, Quebec and most of North Africa. You'd have so many destination you could go and dazzle the people with your French!!

13. soulrebel51

I am going to wait and see what happens with America this summer... so many people are predicting that it will be super bad, with the draft, and the invasion of more countries, and the next Patriot Act... if that all does happen, I am going to leave for Germany in late July/early August... I really dont want to go so soon, but sometimes the best thing isnt what you want to do :(

If I do go then, or whenever, I'll have free housing, because so many family members live there :p

But I do believe that my application for citizenship will be accepted, no matter what, because my mom is a citizen.

14. HookMeUp

HookMeUp Member

hi chuck. let's, uh, go...hunt ducks.

i wanna learn anything that flows better than english. perhaps portugese or something. that'd be cool.

peace!

15. Spacer

Yeah you'll defo get citizenship. You should go over anyway and tour around Europe, it's so easy to visit loads of different countries in Europe becuase they are all so close together and there's so much culture and stuff to see.

16. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Japanese isn't too hard... :D
    I'd say learning a new writing system actualy makes it a bit easier, keeps it totaly seperate... :D
    As for me, I wouldn't mind becoming fluent in japanese, and learn chinese as well... Oh and some form of gaelic... :D

17. Spacer

I could teach ya some Gaelic, the most famous Irish gaelic phrase is "póg mo thóin", which basically means kiss my ass :p :D

18. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

I would love to take it up again & maybe travel or be a French teacher or something! I really love foreign language.

19. Spacer

Well there ya go, you have no excuses now! I'm sure there's nightclasses near you where you could learn it.

20. soulrebel51

Yes I'd love to backpack thru Europe in the near future... and my goal is to move to London by the time I'm 25 and start a band.

And you can just tell in movies, and even on these forums, and tv shows, that people in Europe are much more friendlier than in America. Das ist kewl. :sunglasse