If you are younger than 28,you've never lived a month of below average temperature

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Wolfman's Brother, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

-According to the National Climate Data Center (NCDC), part of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA, the government loves its acronyms), the month of June was another addition to the top of the list for global temps:

• The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for June 2013 tied with 2006 as the fifth highest on record, at 0.64°C (1.15°F) above the 20th century average of 15.5C (59.9°F).
    • The global land surface temperature was 1.05°C (1.89°F) above the 20th century average of 13.3C (55.9°F), marking the third warmest June on record. For the ocean, the June global sea surface temperature was 0.48°C (0.86°F) above the 20th century average of 16.4°C (61.5°F), the 10th warmest June on record.
    • The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for the January–June period (year-to-date) was 0.59°C (1.06°F) above the 20th century average of 13.5°C (56.3°F), tying with 2003 as the seventh warmest such period on record.
    -"In June the earth’s surface was warmer than the 20th century average for the month for the 340th time in a row." (emphasis mine)
    This means that if you were born after Feb. 1985, you’ve never experienced a month of below average global temperatures

Source: http://www.treehugger.com/climate-c...er-lived-month-below-average-temperature.html

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

This merely implicates to me that the average global temperature(s) change. Through human activity or not, I'm not sure.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Asmodean, a readers digest version says that increases in greenhouse gasses and the speed at which the temperatures are changing strongly suggests human-created causes.
    (Source- personal interview with an editor at Science magazine, in 2007)

Personally, if I can make choices then lessen impact of the technology I enjoy and use, I will, and really, must.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm aware of what is said, I'm just not convinced it can't be a natural thing. I certainly recognize that there's a climate change though. I am all for limiting industrial impacts on the environment but not only or in the first place because of the earth getting warmer. If all people thought like me we would probably live with medieval technology... :( :p

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I agree with Asmo. I'm not convinced that climate change is or isn't directly caused by humans but that shouldn't be an excuse to pollute.