If the whole world was catholic

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Chodpa, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

what would it be like?

2. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahaha...............ohHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohohoHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Ow, my sides hurt from laughing.............

any other questions?

3. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

It's trying..... and it won't be pretty. I wouldn't be suprised when they are in support of the mark of the beast

4. Stiff_Bizquette

Stiff_Bizquette Member

how can u say something like that? the catholic church is the only christian church that stands for shit the rest of them just detereorate as time goes on. while there are bad periods with bad leaders and bad priests that does not make the whole religion bad.

if the whole world were catholic though then we would just start from that and butcher it away to thousands of "partially catholic" denominations and nothing would have changed.

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I was raised Catholic, so I know how it goes. The Catholic church hardly basis it's teachings upon the actual words or Jesus Christ, in favor of their own traditions. They leave out so many key parts of the Bible that it's rather disturbing. For one, they don't follow the examples of baptism, which clearly tells us in the bible that it's for repentance. A baby obviously cannot repent of their sins. They don't teach about the holy ghost, which is a specific teaching of Jesus Christ, and he said himself that the only way to enter his kingdom is through water and spirit. Not to mention the whole idea of limbo. I would like my former priest to show me some scriptual reference that backs up the idea of there being a waiting place for souls. Mary is a woman, she is the mother of Jesus, but she is just a woman. Show me in the bible where the idea of praying to her or any of the saints is stated. Jesus said that no one shall come to the father except through him.

Catholic prohecies predict an evil pope, known as the Black Pope, that bares quite a striking resemblance to the False Prophet mentioned in Revelation 13. We know that the antichrist will be preceded by the false prophet. The false prophet is the spiritual advisor to the antichrist. During the end times, the holy roman empire will be revived. If you look at history, the holy roman empire has always had a pope as it's spiritual leader.

According to End Time Magazine's, Irvin Baxter, I find it intriguing that he refers to the Catholic church as the Woman on the Beast in Revelation 17. "The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet and was glitter with gold, precious stones, and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand".... He notes that these colors are predominant in the clothing of priests/popes. The pope has a golden crown, and it's interesting that the chalices served during communion are often golden cups.

6. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

I'm sorry, the catholic church doesn't teach the Baptism and the Holy Ghost??? Are you sure? You should come to a catholic church in Europe.

7. peaceful420

peaceful420 Member

They would destroy the world. It's a simple as that. Everyone would just be drones. No diversity. Just no-sex-before-marriage-read-the-bible-on-a-daily-basis-go-to-church-three-times-a-week drones. That's only if they were all practicing catholics, not those who rebel or refuse to live that lifestyle. That's what would probably happen. A huge rebellion. But I can't see the future, so who knows.

8. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Glad to hear that teach it over there. Too bad they don't teach it here.

9. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Yes, here they teach it. I am very surprised that they don't do it in America. I'm not catholic , you see, but my parents are and I felt very surprised, because the Baptism and the Holy Ghost are fundamental to the Catholic Church Teachings.

10. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

The whole 'non-barbarian' world was catholic at one point. We had all kinds of kewl bon-fires where heretics were burned at the stake and world wars to stop the spread of other religions. Scientists were executed publicly for saying the earth revolved around the sun and people were tortured for owning a copy of the bible. You had to pay to be forgiven for sins and all of your spiritual guidence was given in latin (so you couldn't understand it anyway.)

Sounds like quite a party to me!

11. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

So to the above posts, it sounds like it would be quite similar to living under the Taliban?!

12. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Well... The problem isn't the fact that people are catholic, the problem is that some people are unfair, full of prejudices and don't respect the others. What if I asked: what if the whole world was Jew or Muslim or Budist or whatever? It would be the same! Look, I don't agree with the Catholic Church in most of their positions, but I know a lot of nice catholics. My parents and most of my family is catholic, but, as I said in another thread, first of all they are human beings and they are able to decide for themselves what is wrong and what is right. They are no ignorants and they are very liberal, I can asure you that. Sometimes we have to realize that the religion can be a cultural heritage. I believe that there's only one God, but you have to give him one name. Sometimes you don't even think of that, but nevertheless you will probably choose the name that you are used to, the name that belongs to your roots.
    I wouldn't like to live in a world that had only one religion. I like the fact that there are many, so that we can make a choice and our culture is richer. Now, please don't crucify all the catholic people. Catholics make shit, Muslims make shit, Jews make shit... People make shit. Fundamentalism is shit.

13. TheHammerSpeaks

TheHammerSpeaks Member

Of course the Church in North America teaches about baptism and the Holy Ghost, no matter how many wacko fundamentalists say otherwise. Baptism and confirmation are sacraments.

14. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

TheHammer... what they were saying is that Jesus taught us that baptism was a tool to repent and be born again. Catholics do this shortly after birth so the ritual has lost all meaning to the participant - since they will not even remember it.

Ayesha... I certainly wasn't trying to say all Catholics are bad. I have a number of them in my family. The Catholic establishment has proven to us throughout history that it can not be trusted.

An no, I don't think a world of all Jewish or all Buddhist would be NEARLY as bad. Christianity and Islam are sister religions which have VERY similar philosophies and attitudes. Yes, the rule under Catholic or Taliban would be similar I think. They have both used a lot of violence to acheive their goals.

15. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

We are talking about nowadays, right? I agree, the Catholic Church in the 16th Century, with the Inquisition, was simillar to the Taliban Regime, but you can't say the same about the Catholic Church of the 21st Century! Catholics don't kill women because they're not wearing the Burca, ok?
    By the way, it's true, Catholicism and Islamism are very simillar... But don't you believe that the other religions can have members that do horrible things too? well... Christ died because of the persecutions of some fundamentalist Jews. In India, there are lots of people starving and guess what, nobody cares because they're from an inferior casta...wow, one for hinduism... Yes, there are some religions that motivate much more cruelty than others, but they all do. The problem isn't the religion, the problem is the fundamentalism and you can find that everywhere.

16. POPthree13

POPthree13 Member

Yes, and the Catholic Chruch will tell you to your face that they are quite concerned with fostering a fundamentalist following. Bad things can come from anywhere you are right, does that mean we turn a blind eye to whole institutuions that promote this type of behavior?

Every century since it's founding the church has been involved in some murderous plot to hold on to control. Yes, things have improved in the last couple hundred years but you still have an institution which suppresses knowledge and disregards science, holds on to control through fear and I guess like little boys a lot! I have a hard time pointing to a SINGLE good thing which has come out of the church.

17. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Exactly my point

And the point on the holy spirit is that Catholic church doesn't teach the fundamentals of recieving it. It as if the church completely disregards the entire book of Acts.

18. TheHammerSpeaks

TheHammerSpeaks Member

"And the point on the holy spirit is that Catholic church doesn't teach the fundamentals of recieving it."

As opposed to, let me guess, the Pentacostals? Do you see what I was talking about when I said fundamentalist wackos?

19. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

LOL, so then every single person, including Peter himself, was a fundamentalist wacko, when they ALL recieved the holy spirit during Pentecost and spoke in tongues in the book of Acts? After Jesus himself said that when he died, God would send down his spirit and the people shall speak with new tongues.

Well, the infilling of the holy spirit is mentioned over and over again by Jesus himself, so I must be a fundamentalist wacko for following Jesus's teachings!

20. Ayesha

Ayesha Member

Of course, we can't pretend we don't see when an instituition does something very wrong and cruel. Any instituion. Crimes must be punished.
    And yes, the Catholic Church has been putting obstacles to Science, but I'm not quite sure they still threat people through fear... But once more, all the religions do that. I don't agree with it at all, but the fact is that when there are dogmas, Science will always seem like a threat. I think the Catholic Church must change in many aspects and this is one. But then again,all religions must. Don't make them your scapegoat. If you want to criticize that, you have to criticize all the religions.

Oh... You can't remeber any positive things they did? Oh, I do! The Jesuits went to Brazil, in the 16th Century, to protect the indigenous from the stupid colonists that only wanted to slave them...And they were doing a great job, but then the King of Portugal took them out of there...I'm not pleased to say this, because I'm portuguese, you see. Nowadays, every year the missionaries go to poor countries to help people. Last year I spoke a missionary, he was in Mexico, among other countries, and I really admired him...Besides, at least here, the churches are always doing campaigns to help people... And I can tell you that this is not charity, this is solidarity.
    The Catholic Church made a lot of cruel things and I think they are still
    very wrong in some of their positions, sometimes they defend absurd values, sometimes I think they seem ignorants... I'm always arguing with my catholic friends because of that, but they made and still make things that I admire...I will always admire solidarity, even if it is practised by a catholic or a muslim or a hinduist or a budist or whatever!