If I didnt forget our dreams, how good novels would be written out of them?

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Grandeur, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

R L Stine marrfuckers.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you've really never heard of like, making stuff (stuff you design yourself from your own imagination) or figuring out how things work,
    or the aesthetic pleasure that comes from both, or just going and seeing things that are unfamiliar to you?

what i don't understand is how anyone enjoys life without imagination. and making stuff based on our imaginations, figuring out how to do so,
    designing and conducting controlled peer reviewed research, these are the only visible evidence to distinguish humans from garbles and lemmings.

don't forget h.p. lovecraft.

and there ARE other genre's besides horror.
    which fortunately my own are not haunted by.

all of which potentially benefit from dream input.

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I love designing stuff myself, here are a few examples.

My reply was to a member who thinks that all this should be taken over by computer.

I hate CAD (computer design), because you are using someone else's concept and everything becomes a uniform state of mediocrity.

GT061704_942long.jpg

images38RI8Y9L.jpg

[​IMG]

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Good ideas for potentially great books pop up all the time in many peoples heads. But it takes skills to write it in a compelling and enjoyable form. I had many superb ideas, if I would be a talented story writer I would be rich

themnax likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i use blender which is more for illustration of course then actual dimensional drawings, but your argument against, well its against cad instead of cgi. but the thing is, on the computer actually frees us from the old tyranny of the t-square. you can build things without rectangles entirely, even hard surface stuff. which you can see my examples of what i'm talking about are on my f.a. page. and i'm definately not using someone's concepts. i might throw in one or two meshes someone else created, rarely, but almost everything in almost every image and frame of animation is entirely my own. the thing is, there's none of this has to anything of the sort. maybe that's how they teach it in schools, i wouldn't know about that. i learned from tutorials on line and just playing with all the modifiers and all the other tools that come built in. and the software i use, called blender, is entirely free. but it does take, i mean you have to bring your own art, your own imagination to it. its just a tool, and its really completely up to you what you do with it. the flexibility is there, its not confining at all like you seem to be suggesting.

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I think that we were somewhat at cross purposes here, the pictures are of the actual end product.
    The design and construction of the first building that I posted took 7 years, at a cost of more than two million pounds. Their were hundreds of engineering drawings covering the regency reproduction interior, electrical layout, heating, air-conditioning marble floor, carpets (loomed on a traditional Axminster 27 inch loom), seats and dozens of other areas. I designed the theater for Richard Attenborough for his home town in Richmond (surrey) and it won 2 architectural awards.
    The second picture was of a 2 year refurbishment of a west end theater, that I carried out during my 17 years as the chief engineer or the Odeon theater group.
    The last picture was of a piece of film preview equipment that I designed for a film studio facility used by the BBC.

Much of my work used equipment design dating back to the 1920's Nothing like this exists on computers, particularly since all the dimensions are imperial.

The only time that I came across computer CAD was during the construction of terminal 5 at Heathrow. I was one of many engineers employed as consultants on the project for 12 years.
    The CAD systems used were specific, required banks of servers and operating licences cost tens of thousands of pounds.
    The total construction cost was 4.2 billion pound.

7. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

A lot of my more vivid dreams could inspire pretty interesting horror, or some kind of sci-fi thriller stories. Some other dreams I was able to remember became inspirations for an ongoing novel series I've been working on.

8. I get confused in dreams, because while I'm dreaming I'm imagining what I must look like, so I'll see myself all rolled up in carpet and...

Oh, nevermind.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i respect people who can deal with people well enough to get things actually built.
    but i'm still not convinced i would have wanted that kind of a life.

i just wish building codes weren't so damd enamored of rectangles.
    (and urban planers of automobiles and street grids)

10. That is very strange you saying that. I have also dreamed I was rolled up in a carpet. The next night I dreamed I was on a flying carpet with a mad mad steering. I thought I had to escape and the only way would be to jump off so I did. I ended up on the floor beside my bed. That was scary and I hit my head and a few other parts of my body were hurt.