Ideas for how to make a guitar strap myself

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Zeppelingirl, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Zeppelingirl

Zeppelingirl Member

Hello all :) My fiance got an electric guitar for Christmas. My stepdad gave him a strap for Christmas, but it is like a black nylon ugly thing, like a tote bag strap. I would like to make him a unique guitar strap myself. I would appreciate any of your ideas on how to accomplish this. I would like to incorporate different aspects of his personality, but I'm unsure where to start. Thanks for any help!

2. Loki84

Loki84 Member

http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59264 - I sort of had a go, although it's not a good one.

I'd suggest getting a lot of hemp string, and using that, possibly weaving it to make a cool strap. No idea if that would suit his individuality though.

3. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

You could make a patchy cord out of courdorouy scraps!! And use a braid of hemp twine for the strings on the end...

4. chaos

chaos Member

i made one out of two old leather belts. one wide one and one narrow. then i just traced the outline of another strap i had and cut it out... it works great!

i could take a photo of it for you if you want...

5. cat

cat Member

You could always use the strap he has and cover it with fabric, paint it, whatever. Its probably stronger than anythin you can make, especially if its nylon, theres less chance of it ripping etc.

6. Zeppelingirl

Zeppelingirl Member

thanks for all the good ideas! :)

I still haven't decided what to do yet. I think I'm going to go dig thru the scraps in the fabric store and get inspired. I will definately keep in mind all of your ideas :)

7. Empress Orchid

Empress Orchid Member

8. Loki84

Loki84 Member

that looks fantastic!

9. NaykidApe

NaykidApe Bomb the Ban

The straps not bad either!

Go to a thrift store. They usually have all kinds of belts.